587,328 active members*
3,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAD posts vs. Mastercam posts
Page 2 of 7 1234

Talking Agree with Lakeside

Justncit, BCC should be good enough for your CNC Router. As you get better with the software you will learn how to get away with a lot of Complex 3D work. BCC is made for 3axis, but with the right programmer at the computer you can do a lot of 4 and 5 axis work if you want. Key words in Lakesides Post is that ALL Software has LIMITS. MC, Surfcam, Gibbs, OneCNC, Catia, FeatureCam, EdgeCam, and BCC. Software may have LIMITS, but the mind has NONE. Software is only as good as the Person using it.

MC is one of the best, but for what you need BCC V20.6 or V21.2 with BobArt ProX you will do just fine.

Cheers to ALL :cheers:

tobyaxis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 400helishark.jpg  

Curious as to how the showdown turned out.
    Never be affraid to learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Launch
    Curious as to how the showdown turned out.
    It didn't. We were just having fun with eachother. Rekd, Lakeside Mike M, and My self were just having fun. Why do you feel opening a can of worms is a good idea? Software is Software and it is only limited by the imagination of the user.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

software is software !
    i couldn t disagree more , if bobcad was in the same calibre as mastercam and gibbs cam ,you could be guarranteed they would be charging just as much for their software , NOBODY is out to do anyone any favours in the world of buissiness , bobcad is a great piece of software for the price and if or when they build up their name ,capital and software , they will sh$t on the little guy and crank up their price as well , little fish are only the bait for the big ones

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    It didn't. We were just having fun with eachother. Rekd, Lakeside Mike M, and My self were just having fun. Why do you feel opening a can of worms is a good idea? Software is Software and it is only limited by the imagination of the user.

tobyaxis,

I'm not trying open a can of worms and I agree that ones ability with the software they own is usually limited to the amount of time they are willing to invest learning their software. Unfortunately for to long guys have been told it's a snap and it is not. Regardless of the software you use there will be a learning curve. I find that as in most cases I see guys expecting it to be easy and are to prideful to humble themselves to call in and ask for help. None the less I was in no way trying to stir the pot and I could see that you guys were having a constructive argument.

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap
    software is software !
    i couldn t disagree more , if bobcad was in the same calibre as mastercam and gibbs cam ,you could be guarranteed they would be charging just as much for their software , NOBODY is out to do anyone any favours in the world of buissiness , bobcad is a great piece of software for the price and if or when they build up their name ,capital and software , they will sh$t on the little guy and crank up their price as well , little fish are only the bait for the big ones
    I agree software isn't software, but tobyaxis has a point. It might take a few extra steps, but a softwares limitations is going to based off of the work that is put into it. I can also assure you that we are going to that type of capability to match mastercam, surfcam and these other higher end programs with V22, however WE WILL NOT BE CRANKING UP OUR PRICE. Understand that we can work a little more with pricing because we do everything direct. Even our programming is done in house. We don't have resellers adding money to put in thier pocket and we're not coming out to cut your first part. All I can say is YOU WILL SEE V22 IS GOING TO OPEN SOME EYES.....WAIT AND SEE.....IT'S COMING.

Powerful Affordable Cad-Cam

Quote Originally Posted by msomerville
    Powerful Affordable Cad-Cam
    Yea
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

there are several competing CAD/CAM packages geared towards us mid end (home) machinists, there are so many that I really have no idea which one to go with.

Guess I'll just wait till the project is done, hopefully by that time I'll be convinced.

What we need is some clear way of comparing (reviews) between all these CAM programs because there are so many and they all seem to have the same capability, for the same amount. Impossible to choose.

Arrow CAD-CAM Software which one?

Quote Originally Posted by justCNCit
    there are several competing CAD/CAM packages geared towards us mid end (home) machinists, there are so many that I really have no idea which one to go with.

Guess I'll just wait till the project is done, hopefully by that time I'll be convinced.

What we need is some clear way of comparing (reviews) between all these CAM programs because there are so many and they all seem to have the same capability, for the same amount. Impossible to choose.
    With the type of marketing today you will always get a SALES PITCH. I'm not posting to get you to buy BobCad. Your only way to find out what you need is to demo every software and find what suites your needs. You and only you will know if a software feels right for you. Never count on any SALESMAN to give you the truth on anything. They are trying to make money.

Try some Demos of software and see for yourself. Don't let anyone tell you what is right or wrong for you.

Step 1) What is in your budget?
    Step 2) What type of Software capability do you need? Solids/Wireframe/2D/3D/CAM
    Step 3) What is your learning curve with the Software you have Tried?
    Step 4) What type of support do they have?
    Step 5) Purchasing. Can the supplier of the software negociate a price that is in your budget?

Step 6) Use the software as much as you can and do not be afraid to call for help.

This is how I did it, and many others. Do yourself a favor and try as many demos as you can. Give each one about a week or two.

The initial choice has to be yours.

The main reason BobCad/Cam works for me is because I am a very good CNC Programmer for 6 Axis Swiss Screw Machines, 3 Axis Mills, and 2 Axis Lathes. I don't need BCC for 2-1/2 axis parts, only 3 axis surfaces. Here is an example of a 3 Axis Surface.

For Really Good 3 Axis VisualMill 5.0 you can try a demo at http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Downloads/downloads.shtml This is a bit pricey at $4000 but it posts programs Close to Mastercam Posts. Hopefully the new BCC V22 will be able to post 3 Axis programs like this. If it doesn't this is what I'm getting in October 2006

http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Downloads...esentation.htm

http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Products/products.shtml
    http://www.nemetschek.net/community/...visualmill.php
    :cheers:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surfaces 2 bccv20.JPG   surfaces 3 bccv20.JPG   surfaces bccv20.JPG   example clevis part.JPG  

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    With the type of marketing today you will always get a SALES PITCH. I'm not posting to get you to buy BobCad. Your only way to find out what you need is to demo every software and find what suites your needs. You and only you will know if a software feels right for you. Never count on any SALESMAN to give you the truth on anything. They are trying to make money.

Try some Demos of software and see for yourself. Don't let anyone tell you what is right or wrong for you.

Step 1) What is in your budget?
    Step 2) What type of Software capability do you need? Solids/Wireframe/2D/3D/CAM
    Step 3) What is your learning curve with the Software you have Tried?
    Step 4) What type of support do they have?
    Step 5) Purchasing. Can the supplier of the software negociate a price that is in your budget?

Step 6) Use the software as much as you can and do not be afraid to call for help.

This is how I did it, and many others. Do yourself a favor and try as many demos as you can. Give each one about a week or two.

The initial choice has to be yours.

The main reason BobCad/Cam works for me is because I am a very good CNC Programmer for 6 Axis Swiss Screw Machines, 3 Axis Mills, and 2 Axis Lathes. I don't need BCC for 2-1/2 axis parts, only 3 axis surfaces. Here is an example of a 3 Axis Surface.

For Really Good 3 Axis VisualMill 5.0 you can try a demo at http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Downloads/downloads.shtml This is a bit pricey at $4000 but it posts programs Close to Mastercam Posts. Hopefully the new BCC V22 will be able to post 3 Axis programs like this. If it doesn't this is what I'm getting in October 2006

http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Downloads...esentation.htm

http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Products/products.shtml
    http://www.nemetschek.net/community/...visualmill.php
    :cheers:
    Good advice. Doing a demo will give you the correct information you need to make the best possible decision for you and your business.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Launch
    Good advice. Doing a demo will give you the correct information you need to make the best possible decision for you and your business.

Brett
    Agreed, and a demo ON YOUR OWN PARTS is even better because it will expose the software to more of what you're doing.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd
    Agreed, and a demo ON YOUR OWN PARTS is even better because it will expose the software to more of what you're doing.
    Well, if you would like we can run a live demo with you.

This is going to get interesting

Team Work

This is nice. Everyone coming together to aid a fellow human being. Comunication without Bashing.
    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

A live demo. . do you mean installing it on my PC, or doing some sort of web based thing? I doubt you'd want to make a trip up north here.

Pretty sure Chad was speaking about doing this online. Where is up north anyhow? IMTS is just around the corner.

Manitoba, winnipeg specifically.

BCC V22 is comming soon

Quote Originally Posted by justCNCit
    A live demo. . do you mean installing it on my PC, or doing some sort of web based thing? I doubt you'd want to make a trip up north here.
    I just got off the phone with Chad at BobCad-Cam. JustCNCit, you may want to wait for the release of V22. As for the Demo he is talking about, it is an Online Demo. Also I believe he can setup a Demo with one of your parts that you want to make. (If I'm wrong he will correct me). Right now V22 is still being Tested on multipul computer systems to make sure it works on a wide range of O/S and Graphics Card Interfaces. They are Testing ATI, Nvidia, and a few others and making adjustments to the Software Code. Release has been pushed back and won't be in September, but a little later.

Call Chad at BCC he'll steup a demo with you. (877-262-2231 ext. 124)

The new advanced Tech in V22 will be worth the wait.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

From Development

BobCAD-CAM is currently in the development stages of the next version. Version 22. We have not yet reached the stage of beta testing the software. With this in mind, you realize that it takes time to test every aspect of a CAD-CAM system. I don't know what has taken place or what was discussed in phone calls outside of development but I can say that "waiting" for a future release is probably not the best idea. The Version 22 system will be released later this year as an upgrade to existing customers and will indeed provide a vast amount of improvements. This is the way it is with all upgrades. The benefit that we provide is that you can evaluate an upgrade and take the next step if you so determine that you can use the new functionality. As for future technology, we have every intention of making significant improvements in CNC automation at many levels with our CAD-CAM systems. We have taken into consideration years of requests as well as the general direction that CAM software has gone in an effort to provide the manufacturing industry with cost effective solutions to accessing functionality that could only be found in systems costing far more than you can easily afford. To discuss "what" will be in the next version is too premature at this point, even though we love the "Hype." Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    CNC Dude

Page 2 of 7 1234