587,773 active members*
2,811 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Best toolpath for this partially tapered wall pocket?

Hybrid View

Best toolpath for this partially tapered wall pocket?

I having trouble selecting the proper toolpath this partially tapered wall pocket. I thought HS clearance to start - followed by HS scallop to clean it up. Verify looks good, but when I run the part, HS clearance pass pretty much cuts straight down and the scallop pass touches nothing. I made every adj possible with offsets & stepovers - still the same result.

I tried Wire/lofted - which the verify looks great - except goes it goes through the floor of the part.

I'm using X2 - and the angle of the taper is 25 degrees...

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tapered wall.jpg  

can you share you X2 file that you made the paths on?I work well with files. ;-) My thoughts real fast are pocket rough then follow up with a surface Scallop using a boundry to keep the too in that area.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Sure - this one has the toolpaths that I'm playing with currently.

<<edited>> - the 1st file I uploaded (parta) had geometry messed up. this one is OK (partb)

Kevin
    Attached Files Attached Files

I programmed like it was 6061. this should work well. you could go of course with smaller tools.I also made your file a solid to make programming faster for me.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

That was quick! I will be studying it closely to learn something. Hope you won't mind some questions as I go along. Just a couple for now...

1. On the Finish/Constant op. - you chose a 1/8" FLAT end mill. I was under the assumption that a ball end mill would be better ti use on the sloped wall surface?

2. Can you tell me why you changed this to a solid ? Just curious if there is advantages - or just personal preference.

I'm just learning, this will be my first part to run in metal (after I test it in plastic -of course). Don't get offended with my questions - just want to learn the right way to do this.

Thank you very much for your help.

Kevin

I used the flat because of the flat floor and sharp intersections.Realllly for that one I would use a 1/8th with a .010 radi and program it as a bullnose.

as for the solid so when I picked the floors for the pockets i just used the face option. and also I got clean curves for my boundrys.

(Don't get offended with my questions ) as an instructor if I got offened by questions I would of stopped teaching along time ago.

Did you run it thru varify?
    Cadcam

Verify looked good. I'll run it with the flat mill and see how it turns out. Its for hand poured plastics, so if its not smooth enough - I'll take your advice on the bullnose.

I've just got to add that little ridge on the outside of the tail and I'll probably run a sample in it the morning.

I've got to figure out my speeds / feeds yet. I have an on-line calculator bookmarked somewhere. I am using 6061 - your feed rates are a lot faster than I've been using -the defaults. My machines limit is 4500rpm - unless I break out and install the HSS 10,000 rpm attachment arm that I got with the machine - just in case.

Thanks again.
    Kevin

I was programming like i would run here on my machines sorry.let me know how it goes.
    Cadcam

Finally got some 1/16" ball end mills and time to play with this. I got an error during the run on the pocket remaching - it just stopped on a line of code around 2380 an error about "found a l-word in a yz arc" . Couldn't skip it or go by it.

I've got to redraw it to make the tails wider - so back to the beginning.

I'll use your toolpath methods and see what I get.

Thank you very much for your help.

Kevin

letts look when you get ready for pathing at your file I can help with this. what are you running it on?
    Cadcam

Thanks to everyones help and guidance - I finally ran it Saturday. It came out really nice - very happy with it. (see pic)

Next project is more complicated - being a two-piece old. I'm sure I'll be starting a new thread here any day

Thanks again for everyones help.

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0003.JPG