Hi all, I have stepped up to the plate and have been bug bitten to build my own desktop sized C framed mill. I'm having the good folks at Castinite company build my mold and pour the frame in epoxy granite. I have already purchased some thk - C0 20mm ground ball screws, and some hiwyn linear rails and am now getting the cad drawings happening. I'm looking for travels of around x20,y10,z15. The X axis casting will be stationary and only the table will move right/left. The goal is to fit the machine in an enclosure that I already have that houses a small Minitech mill.
To maximize travels, im requesting input on the pros and cons of direct vs timing belt mounting of the step motors. My thought is if timing belts have no drawbacks, it would allow the motors to be thoughtfully mounted as to allow the frame to be made as large as the enclosure allows without the step motors eating away valuable real estate. I'm going all in on this build and really want a high precision/ high rigidity machine. This is a first attempt and I sure hope with your input it is a successful conclusion! Thanks for the suggestions!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk now Free