586,068 active members*
3,865 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Band Saw blade problems -Help Please

I am currently using a Northern Industrial 4.5" x6" 3/4hp bad saw to cut 6061-T6 aluminum plate and extrusion.

Blades
    64.5 x .5 size
    Raker style 14 TPI and 10 TPI

Brands
    Irwin
    Starrett
    Northern Industrial
    Enco

The problem I am having is that the blades break long before the cutting edge gets dull. A crack develops in the chip gullet of the blade and then gets longer over time until the blade breaks. The blades have lasted anywhere from 2 hours up to 2 months. I feel the blades should last significantly longer because they are still sharp and the saw does not sound like it is working hard to cut the material.

I have attempted to re-weld the blades to repair them, but the induction blade welder I have access to does not work very well with the bi-metal style blades. With the breakage occurring with a number of different manufactures, it would appear that there is a problem with the set up of the saw. Is this blade breaking problem common with the smaller bad saws? What can I check or adjust to see if the saw is set up correctly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Band Saw blade problems -Help Please

I use Starrett blades and did get a good bit of breakage like you describe. I found that reducing the blade tension made them last longer. I now use very little blade tension and get at least double the blade life.
    Lee

Remove ALL the guide bearings, and inspect the wheels for alignment! Then put in a new band and check tilt of the idler wheel. if it is bulling the band into the shoulder of the wheel it is stressing the band, If all is correct, re-install the bearing guides an align them to the band.

Widgit
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Thank you for the suggestions. I have checked and tested the adjustments to the guide roll. I did have the opposite problem with the blades, where they kept trying to 'walk' away from the shoulder. The current adjustments keep the blade just off of the shoulder of the guide wheel and it seems stable.

The tension is something that I am concerned about but can try quickly. I will reduce the tension on the bland and see what happens. I am concerned about the blade slipping on the drive wheel. Going to give it a try.

Thanks

Take a piece of paper and roll it with the blade wheels so it pinches between the blade and the wheel. This will show how the blade is making contact. I've tried starrett blades and always had problems. Switched to Sanvik blades and no more issues.

I have a 601 Haltbar band saw blade, I broke it but not in the weld point . I've been using this type of blade and never had a problem before. What did I do wrong this time? I was cutting 1" stainless steel, 10/14 TPI , running 220 . Was it too fast?