587,475 active members*
3,655 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Ball nut interference - X2 and CNC Fusion

Ball nut interference - X2 and CNC Fusion

Been fitting my X2 CNC Fusion kit today and I've discovered that the X axis ball nut is interfering with the underside of the table. Anyone experienced this before? The pic explains what is going on. The ball nut is branded Thomson.

FYI I did the Bilinghm Y axis extension mod to the kit before disassembly and it worked a treat! :cheers:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=39
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image6.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Clot View Post
    Anyone experienced this before?
    Myself and probably many others. On mine the interference was at the other end of the table. A bit of filing took care of the problem. Each X2 will be a little different, Call it part of the charm or sloppy workmanship

You're drawing does not show the cncfusion aluminum block. Assuming it was left out to make the drawing simpler.

edit/ Thanks for the y axis pointer.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

The kit I just put on my x2 is not a cncfusion, but it too had this problem. I used an angle grinder to grind a relief for the ballnut.

Thanks guys. Yes, the CNC Fusion block was left off for clarity (its at the other end of the table). I've been thinking that the table mod is probably the best approach - I don't like the idea of grinding a flat on the ball nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Clot View Post
    Thanks guys. Yes, the CNC Fusion block was left off for clarity (its at the other end of the table). I've been thinking that the table mod is probably the best approach - I don't like the idea of grinding a flat on the ball nut.
    Although I am still busy with my mod and thus not sure how it will end up, I chose to slot the X axis endcap, moved it down by a couple of mm, and it seems to then clear. I have to add that my ballscrew will be mounted on the outside of the Y axis slide. I will take some photograps when it is assembled

Hennie

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    A bit of filing took care of the problem.
    To be more clear, a bit of filing on the table casting. Or grinding for the lazy These kind of possible misunderstandings are the source of my signature. Something the guy at a motorcycle parts counter said.

My cncfusion kit has a aluminum block at each end of the x axis. The left end is the motor mount. The right end is a spacer block to extend the x travel. Sounds like your kit might have a shorter x screw or different design.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Ah yes, the RH block. Got that too but had to grind about a 2mm groove half way along the underside of the table to remove the interference. All good now thou! There was a flat milled on the underside from the factory but it wasn't deep enough to clear the ball nut.