587,262 active members*
3,216 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Axis rebuild on lathe

I decided it was time to rebuild the x and z axis on my lathe. I found that I have metric acme lead screws. Is this common on import machines? They look to be 12/3 or 14/3 on the x axis and 16/3(?) on the z axis. The nuts are made of either brass or bronze? My biggest problem/question is do I use the metric lead screws and buy metric acme taps for this project or try to make new ones using american pitch threaded rod? Second question what do I use for the lead screw nuts? I have some brass and oil impregnated bronze, but I don't know which will hold up better.

IF you change the screws from metric to imperial you will have some gear changes in your threading gear box. I would not use oil impregnated for the half nuts it is a little soft,

budP

Quote Originally Posted by budP View Post
    IF you change the screws from metric to imperial you will have some gear changes in your threading gear box. I would not use oil impregnated for the half nuts it is a little soft,

budP
    Not to mention if you have graduated dials on each axis, they will not read properly when you change screws.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Well I went ahead and bought metric taps. Would bronze be better to make the nuts out of?