My machine has developed a problem that I would like some advice about. It is a 2005 RH-20 with Centurion 7. When I exit handwheel mode after finding and defining my datums, the table moves. The head also moves (up, thank God) when exiting handwheel from the Z axis. My work-around so far has been to incrementally correct for this movement, in MDI mode, by moving my edge finder back-and-forth, back-and-forth,... until I (re)locate the edge and redefine the zero position.
I realized yesterday that I could determine the actual amount of movement with a dial indicator and compensate for it by adding it back in to my definition. The movement was 0.0026, so instead of using -0.1 as my edge finder position, I enter -0.0974. I was surprised to see that the movement was the same in all three axes. Unfortunately, today the movement was measured to be a little different; closer to 0.002 even. I chalked that up to a difference in ambient temperature or the like; I really don't know.
I also corrected for backlash yesterday. The correction was small; less than half a thou on all three axes.
It seems to me that there should be a parameter to correct for this handwheel error. I cannot find this described in the manual.
Thanks