587,214 active members*
3,655 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Axis Amp 0040 Card Failure

Axis Amp 0040 Card Failure

I have had the same axis card fail in the exact spot three times. The new card only lasted about six (6) months. I queried our service tech about this and was told that it is the cards. The failure is the board is smoked under the MOSFET that is listed as Q2 and near the transformer on the main board. There are four (4) 510 Ohm resistors on the back side. Does anyone know what this part of the board functions?

This card failed while the machine was just sitting. We had not used the machine for about a week and then find the blown amp.

Thank you.

Jeff Lange
    Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

I should have stated that the machine is a 2000 4020. The amp is by Glentek.
    Jeff Lange

Glentek strikes again!!!!

Chances are if you are having the same problem,its not the amp.Check all your cableing,Fadal uses sealtite on some machines,after awhile the the conduit breaks and coolant gets in there.I have heard that the connectors arc on the AC motors,so thats worth looking into.Next the motor.If its blowing the mosfet transistors,more then likely,something is going to ground.This should be easy to find.As for the amp,you'll have to do some searching to find out what transistor that is,as I remember glentek puts their own number on it.

Neal,
    What is your take on this? BTW the MOSFET is labeled as an FBC 40AS 606C KF. The board is smoked under the MOSFET and the resistors, R74, R64, R66, and R124 are lifted from the board. Also, the Diode at D15 listed as an ER 1J appears to be blown out.

Thank you for any help you can put towards this.

Jeff Lange
    Jeff Lange

Jeff--
    What comes to my mind is either a high DC buss load or possible excess drag on that axis system causing a constant elevated current draw.
    Way outside the box might be an axis motor having a high resistant internal ground.

Neal

The axis card failed while the machine was idle. We had not used the mahcine for about 1 week. We went to run and the card was failed. I would think that this rules out friction or drag.

What are the testing methods for the other two (2) items you mentioned.

Thank you,

Jeff Lange
    Jeff Lange

You should have a tech come out and check Buss voltage. Check you lube lines to that axis...which axis was it?