586,055 active members*
4,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Anyone using 2linc spring loaded engraver

Anyone using 2linc spring loaded engraver

I am interested in picking up the 2linc spring loaded engraving tool but have some concerns as to how well it works with slower machines like tormach. The magic relies on rapiding into the part and feeding at high speeds so the tool never has time to work down into the material. An internal spring absorbs the extra depth you rapid. I have couple of concerns. First being as our z axis rapid is not breaking any records is the tool going to be prone to digging dealer into the material? Since we do not have any kind of look ahead and stepper acceleration is slower will a change in direction allow the tool to cut slightly deeper as the axis accelerates? It seams to me there would be larger "dots" at the beginning and end of each engraving line from where the tool was plunging and retracting the spring. Maybe I'm just thinking too deeply into it. Does anyone currently use the tool?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re: Anyone using 2linc spring loaded engraver

Yes i have one but have not used it extensively.

If you look about 6 posts down in the thread about anodizing and drag engraving i posted a picture of an some line work i did. Note this was done very slowly so the spring may have had time to settle. Unfortunately no where near my machine so can't even do some testing for you. Hopefully someone else can be more definitive. I have some anodized parts coming back in a few weeks so will run some test, and post results.

Cheers,
    .adrian

I talked to 2l a year ago when it came out and they said that a Tormach is not the market for their tool. I'd suggest using a normal engraving tool if you want to go slow, or a tiny ball endmill if you want to go fast.

Ha just read it's you Chris, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mioduz View Post
    I am interested in picking up the 2linc spring loaded engraving tool but have some concerns as to how well it works with slower machines like tormach. The magic relies on rapiding into the part and feeding at high speeds so the tool never has time to work down into the material. An internal spring absorbs the extra depth you rapid. I have couple of concerns. First being as our z axis rapid is not breaking any records is the tool going to be prone to digging dealer into the material? Since we do not have any kind of look ahead and stepper acceleration is slower will a change in direction allow the tool to cut slightly deeper as the axis accelerates? It seams to me there would be larger "dots" at the beginning and end of each engraving line from where the tool was plunging and retracting the spring. Maybe I'm just thinking too deeply into it. Does anyone currently use the tool?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    You may be interested in check out this new one at CNC-Aid.com