586,068 active members*
3,735 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Anyone Used A Spin Indexer?

Anyone Used A Spin Indexer?

Has anyone here used a Spin Indexer? There are quite a few parts on the PDB and ATC that could use a spin indexer for fixturing. I've been using 5C collet blocks in a vise, but a spin indexer would be a much faster way of re-orienting the part. My only quesiton is: How is the spin indexer precisely aligned to the machine axis? The ones I've seen don't appear to have and ground reference surfaces that could be used for alignment.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Re: Anyone Used A Spin Indexer?

with the indexers that do not have the ground surface for alignment put a ground bar in the collet and tram the bar for alignment to your axis

Quote Originally Posted by rcs60 View Post
    with the indexers that do not have the ground surface for alignment put a ground bar in the collet and tram the bar for alignment to your axis

Ray, I was going to say the same thing. Depending on the length, maybe you'll need to constrain the end but perhaps you can get away with a large Dia. grounded rod which doesn't need to be supported at the end.

Regards,

-Jason

Pretty much as I thought. Thanks.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray,

You can also remove the spindle of the spin indexer and indicate off the bore to cut your own reference surface that is parallel to the centerline. That way, you won't have to deal with the ground bar any more....
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Ray,

I am a bit late to this but another option might be one of these: Buy 225-205 Phase II Horizontal-Vertical Collet Indexer 5C Collet Indexers from UseEnco. They are more rigid than a spindexer and most have keyed bases.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    Ray,

I am a bit late to this but another option might be one of these: Buy 225-205 Phase II Horizontal-Vertical Collet Indexer 5C Collet Indexers from UseEnco. They are more rigid than a spindexer and most have keyed bases.

bob
    But no indexing capability, which is the whole point....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray,
    You may not be familiar with that style, but it IS an indexer (and a rather nice one). The lever on the left (in the photo) is used to turn it. It's been a long time since I've used one, but they are really nice indexers.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Quote Originally Posted by HawkJET View Post
    Ray,
    You may not be familiar with that style, but it IS an indexer (and a rather nice one). The lever on the left (in the photo) is used to turn it. It's been a long time since I've used one, but they are really nice indexers.
    Cris,

I understand it can rotate, but is there really an indexer? I need to be able to rotate in precise 1 degree increments, and don't want to have to use some additional measuring tool to position it.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yes, it is an indexer, but if you need 1 degree increments, you're right. I don't believe it has that resolution. As I said it's been a long time (3 decades probably) since I've used one. As I recall, it has detents for something like 15 degree increments.

Here's a similar, or maybe the same, unit. This description says it has 15-degree increments...
    Indexing 5C Collet Fixtures | Travers.com