587,125 active members*
2,663 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > anyone replaced fadal transformer?

anyone replaced fadal transformer?

Hi

Just wondering if anyone out there has ever had any issues with a Fadal main transformer? The step up /down transformer that is the heart of the machine that powers the spindle drive and everything else......

Doug

Replaced them from single to three and back to single phase a few times. Never had an issue but I can tell you when a Tformer does go you wont have anything out of it.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

I'm getting good steady power going to transformer but under acceleration my voltage is going from 235VAC or so down to 208VAC on the input to Drive. Which is what is leading me to believe transformer is breaking down or something.

Doug, Check out this video. I know it's noting like the main transformer for your fadal, but the principle for testing is the same.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqaxkGcEzeI]how to check a transformer - YouTube[/ame]

Hope it helps, and good luck.
    www.socalpe.com offers CNC retrofit kits, CNC repair services, CNC motion controls, and a variety of CNC Components and accessories.

???
    Just a basic

Whay are you concerned? Is your machine faulting out or are you loosing torque? I doubt your transformer is the problem. 235VAC is exactly were you want to be while the spindle is off, I'm not sure how much of a drop you should see while running, you may have an issue with you spindle motor.

Hi
    Thanks for the reply
    I get 20volts drop when I accelerate from stop to 7500 RPM with acceleration at 6 seconds, any faster than that and I get it tripping off with low bus voltage. New spindle motor 15HP HT and new Drive to match. So looks like i'm going to have to live with it for now and just slow my acceleration down to 7 seconds.

Heck, I just bypassed my transformer and run it on single phase now. Its a 94 VMC15XT in which nothing in the machine really needs 3 phase.

It was a nice surprise when I bought the machine, after having actually budgeted for a rotary converter.
    http://www.scpconcepts.com

Is the wiring gauge all correct / original? What kind of drive are you using? Did this problem occure before replacing the motor and drive?