587,308 active members*
3,693 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Any one that is making molds or patterns with X3

Question Any one that is making molds or patterns with X3

Hi,

I am machining my first very complex pattern and X3 seems to be waisting an extreme amount of time. It machines a little bit than retracts clearance and goes the other end of the work piece then back to the other side. It really makes me mad cutting air at feed rate not rapid, and jumping all over.

This tool path used surface high speed tool paths, solid model built in X3 solids.
    My seat is legal with a dongle and expired maint. Level 3

Did I over look a setting some where or is the norm for $17,000 worth of software?

From what I read and see, most Team Solidworks together with Mastercam to Create Molds.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    From what I read and see, most Team Solidworks together with Mastercam to Create Molds.
    We are going to switch to solid works for the CAD but plan on dumping Mastercam in the future. Sadly I bought this and just cannot toss it out, my mistake so I need to live with it for at least another year or two, my patience is running out rather quickly. It is good for simple to moderate projects but seems to really nose dive when you need the horse power. The solid works would not have any thing to do with the toolpath generation.

Being that my MC experience is limited I have been able to create simple Molds with MC without too much trouble.

How long have you been using MC and what problems are you having??

There are more than a few Power users here that may be able to help you, or on the eMastercam Forum.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Being that my MC experience is limited I have been able to create simple Molds with MC without too much trouble.

How long have you been using MC and what problems are you having??

There are more than a few Power users here that may be able to help you, or on the eMastercam Forum.
    I believe about 2 years, it started out as X2 and got the upgrade about a week before the maintanance ran out. The biggest complaint I have had with it has been the CAD side. Its okay for one simple part but to do an assembly drawing and something that looks good forget it. It takes all day to make a title block and fill in the blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by foxsquirrel View Post
    I believe about 2 years, it started out as X2 and got the upgrade about a week before the maintanance ran out. The biggest complaint I have had with it has been the CAD side. Its okay for one simple part but to do an assembly drawing and something that looks good forget it. It takes all day to make a title block and fill in the blanks.
    To be honest with you, Mastercam is a good CAM, but not the best CAD Software. Personally I use Alibre Design due to the price of SW. The MC I use is at a friends shop or the Local HFO.

I am assuming that you didn't upgrade to the 4X MU2??
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

To be honest with you, Mastercam is a good CAM, but not the best CAD Software. Personally I use Alibre Design due to the price of SW. The MC I use is at a friends shop or the Local HFO.

I am assuming that you didn't upgrade to the 4X MU2??
    No, maintanane was dropped because of my unhappyness with the CAD side and a tight budget, no sense in throwing more money into something that will get set aside in a couple of years. As for Alibre it sucks, its on par with BobCad. I bought it a couple of months ago when they ran a special and I did a design and could not import it into Mcam X3 (I waisted a several days, not very happy). Called Alibre up and they did not help or care to help. Then they called us in an attempt to sell the CAM package, I said sure if they would sell me a 60 day license so the software could be fully tested. They would not do that, so that means they are in the same league as BobCad and Dolphin CAD/CAM.

As for Alibre it sucks, its on par with BobCad. I bought it a couple of months ago when they ran a special and I did a design and could not import it into Mcam X3 (I waisted a several days, not very happy). Called Alibre up and they did not help or care to help. Then they called us in an attempt to sell the CAM package, I said sure if they would sell me a 60 day license so the software could be fully tested. They would not do that, so that means they are in the same league as BobCad and Dolphin CAD/CAM.
    This is strange, I never had this problem. I send all my customers Alibre Step, Step 203, and Step214 Files without a hitch. Alibre is also a Mastercam Solution Partner.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Hi,

I am machining my first very complex pattern and X3 seems to be waisting an extreme amount of time. It machines a little bit than retracts clearance and goes the other end of the work piece then back to the other side. It really makes me mad cutting air at feed rate not rapid, and jumping all over.

This tool path used surface high speed tool paths, solid model built in X3 solids.
    My seat is legal with a dongle and expired maint. Level 3

Did I over look a setting some where or is the norm for $17,000 worth of software?
    Is there any way you can post an .mcx file on here showing the undesired behavior ? That way we can offer suggestions to you in a very specific nature...

I feel quite confident that you can create efficient toolpaths with Mastercam regardless of the complexity of your work. Mastercam is very capable software but it takes time to learn all the tricks.

Matt, No I cannot post it because it is a pattern for one of our products.

Different toolpaths have been used and that does make a VERY big difference, alot of it is possibly my ignorance.

It sounds like your users are not very experienced with the software. Title blocks take an awesome 5 minutes to make in X3. If you want a better CAD program get AutoCAD, this is one of the leading industry standards and is a very good program. You can import the DXF or DWG files form AutoCAD directly into MasterCAM. MasterCAM is a modeling program not a CAD program, but the CAD functions are very simple to use. I have almost replaced AutoCAD with MasterCAM. as for you tool coming up and moving all over the place..... there is a check box in various places of the tool path menus depending on what tool path you are using. The box says keep tool down. this will keep the toll from coming up out of the part every time it completes a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    It sounds like your users are not very experienced with the software. Title blocks take an awesome 5 minutes to make in X3. If you want a better CAD program get AutoCAD, this is one of the leading industry standards and is a very good program. You can import the DXF or DWG files form AutoCAD directly into MasterCAM. MasterCAM is a modeling program not a CAD program, but the CAD functions are very simple to use. I have almost replaced AutoCAD with MasterCAM. as for you tool coming up and moving all over the place..... there is a check box in various places of the tool path menus depending on what tool path you are using. The box says keep tool down. this will keep the toll from coming up out of the part every time it completes a pass.
    Hi, You are right on lack of experience, but MCAM doesn't seem to want a user to learn alot on their own. MCAM seems to have the philosphy of telling you just enough to be dangerous and when you need help call the rep that sold your the $1800 a year maintanance agreement. I suspect the reps make the lion's share of the profit on the training and maintance agreement. This is extremely pronounced when it comes to modifying a POST processor. Have they ever released ANYTHING about X or newer post modifications??
    I grew up on AutoCAD and had a hard time transitioning to MCAM techniques and really don't want to go back. We are going to a SolidsWorks Demo this coming week and will more than likely purchase a seat for the CAD side if I like it. I am taking some one along that has no CAD experience just to find out if the software will be more user friendly for beginners. I am stuck in a rut from doing things the old way and some one else with out any experience will be able to provide valuable input regarding the purchase.
    If you can do a title block in 5 minutes using MCAM you are good! AutoCad used to be a couple clicks and part number and it was all auto filled and ready to go in less than a minute.

I also grew up on AutoCAD, have used it for about 8 years now, MCAM is an awesome tool, don't trow it out. It just takes some time to learn. Most company's have designated people to run MCAM and then send the files to the machinists. It sounds like you are trying to have many people learn the program.

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    I also grew up on AutoCAD, have used it for about 8 years now, MCAM is an awesome tool, don't trow it out. It just takes some time to learn. Most company's have designated people to run MCAM and then send the files to the machinists. It sounds like you are trying to have many people learn the program.
    I did find some tricks for pattern / mold work that have saved considerable amounts of time. So I can some very positive things about MCAM. It is getting to the point of having engineering level people for the programming and setup because of the multi discipline crossover. Not all of us that went to college like to play around in the chips and oil.........

I believe you can bring in a title block when you use the Solid Layout feature to generate a drawing. The kicker is you have to have the solids option, but you can save your own title block and insert that any time you use Solid Layout. It uses the solid you make to design your part, and puts the drawing and title block on their own levels. Hope that helps.

foxsquirrel, sounds like you have issues but as a mold maker and used MC for making molds from the 80's it has been a great tool for me.Sense you can not share the file to see what and how you cut the part . makes it hard to help.
    Can you share the file with your dealer?
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .