587,487 active members*
3,661 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Anti-vibration clay of sorts

Anti-vibration clay of sorts

About 15 or so years ago I had quite a problem with alot of vibration in a part I was running on a VTL, an oldtimer gave me some brown clay type material he called "Bear s*it" I am now running a simular job with the same issues and I can not seem to find this stuff. I have no Idea what the real name of this is antivibration clay is, it held up well to coolant and stayed inplace very well after forming it,it was also re-useable.

John

Just use modeling clay from the craft store. Clay will do only so much. BTW is this a merkur part ... Sometimes there are other ways to cancel out the vibrations without the use of clay. CLay can also be a pita, as it collects chips, then inturn cut your hands when you grab it. glove would be recomended.

I use plasterceen from the dollar store, or my kids craft supply if the wife not around. The trick to getting it out is go to an electronics supply store and get a can of Super Cold. The stuff is great but not cheap a shot of it can cool down to -72 deg F. Once frozen it comes off real nice.

Silly Putty works well.

Thanks

thanks for all the help. these are some 36" brake disks used on our trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVB View Post
    thanks for all the help. these are some 36" brake disks used on our trailers.
    You can always try the bushman's approach. A two by four wedged against the toolpost and rubbing against the disc. You reef on the end of it just hard enough to damp the vibrations but not so hard you deflect things too much. Hanging on the end of of it for a nice long cut separates the men from the boys.