587,453 active members*
5,375 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alternatives to vCarve Pro

Hi folks,

Another newbe here scraping around frantically trying to get all the components lined up to get started in cnc(ing).

I've got a Zenbot on order at present, which will be using Mach3 for control. The sort of work I'd like to be turning out is V carved timber sign work, along with 2D design work in other materials.

From what I've seen Vcarve pro from Vectric is the business! However after spending too much already I just can't afford or justify the cost. So I've been searching for an alternative for the V carve work which won't cost too much just to get it up and running, and I really haven't turned anything up. Is there any alternative out there? I realise it wouldn't be up to the quality of Vcarve pro, but if it's cheap (or possibly open source?) it would get me started until I've saved a few bob for Vcarve pro.

Any and all advice much appreciated.

Neil

V-Carve Pro is probably the cheapest way there is to do V-Carving. I'm not aware of any cheaper software that has that capability.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hello,
    I agree with Gerry. If you can get by with just the 2D aspects for a while and then move up to VcarvePro you might consider trying Cut2d from Vectric, which is a very good 2D package at more of a hobby price range to get started. You could use a V bit with 2D toolpaths to simulate a Vcarved look and then upgrade to VcarvePro when the cash is available? Just an idea that might get you started.
    Regards,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by metalworkz View Post
    Hello,
    I agree with Gerry. If you can get by with just the 2D aspects for a while and then move up to VcarvePro you might consider trying Cut2d from Vectric, which is a very good 2D package at more of a hobby price range to get started. You could use a V bit with 2D toolpaths to simulate a Vcarved look and then upgrade to VcarvePro when the cash is available? Just an idea that might get you started.
    Gerry/Wes,

Thanks for that. I've downloaded the demo Vcarve Pro and looked at some of the video tutorials and it does seem to be absolutely excellent. I have alsolooked at Cut2d which I imagine is also very good for 2d work, but it's the Vcarve work that attracts me. As I mentioned in my original post, I don't have the router yet so although you can play about with the vcarve demo, you can't really get your hands dirty. The same goes with Cut2d. I guess we beginners all want to start off on a modest budget until we feel that we can justify the extra expense. However it would be good to have all the necessary bits ready to put together as soon as possible after the Zenbot arrives!

egards,
    Neil

I'll chime in.

You will love every min of using the program and forget the cost. Really. It is hands down the best program I have used and tried. It is fun to use and simple. If I recall, Mastercam and ArtCAM also do V-carving, but after you see those prices Vcarve Pro seems free

Here is how to save money.

Just buy V-Carve Pro upfront. I first bought Cut2D, also due to $$, than realized how much I wanted to try Vcarving and paid for the upgrade. I could have saved a few bucks just getting it upfront.

You won't regret it... it is one heck of a program!!!

here are only a few things I have made with the program
    Check out CNC Wood ( My Projects ) *still working on transferring the site over so some stuff is not there

tauseef
    CNC, Sherline, RC, Helicopters, Airplanes, Machining
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

I'm new to this too, but after doing some research I'm strongly leaning towards getting the V-Carve Pro / Cut 3D / Photo V-Carve Package. I have a copy of Bobcam to start with, but am pretty sure it can't do what this software seems to be capable of. I have a Probotix Meteor on order and a Super PID along with a Porter Cable 690 (1 3/4 HP). I'll be putting an "A" axis on it soon after I receive it. I'm having it shipped with the "A" axis already installed in the controls.

I was wondering if anyone has purchased Aspire and if it was worth it. It seems to me that the package I'm looking at has 99% of what Aspire has, except maybe not the clip art, at half the price. ($1995 vs $947)

Nickolas587 Guest
    Another newbe here scraping around frantically trying to get all the components lined up to get started in cnc(ing).

Aspire has a lot of 3D modeling tools, and more control over toolpaths, which account for the difference in price between it and V-Carve Pro.

If you don't have a need to create your own models, then go with the package your looking at. If you want to do your own modelling, than go with Aspire, or add a 3rd party modelling program to that package.

If you decide to go with Aspire, note that it is not able to do what Photo V-Carve does.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by peterde View Post
    I'm new to this too, but after doing some research I'm strongly leaning towards getting the V-Carve Pro / Cut 3D / Photo V-Carve Package.
    I'd recommend getting V-Carve Pro for first item.

I did buy the bundle as all three (Cut3D, Vcarve Pro, and Photo V-carve). To get up and running, V-carve Pro is fantastic. Photo V-carve is wickedly simple, but you need a very high resolution photos to work from. Forget older point and shoot camera's or cell phone photo's. Not enough resolution. Film prints from my son's 4 x 5 format black and white film.... very nice detail!

Hindsight, I should have held off on Cut 3D and used the $$$ towards aspire.

TIP my office computer had V-carve tutorial loaded first. Later purchased the bundle. Well when I open existing files (created in licensed version, they would open as trial version if I had opened existing files). Take them out to the shop and run the G-code. Tweak the *.crv file.... shop machine (loaded with licensed copy) wouldn't open the trial version file. Sigh. Finally realized I had to delete the trial version off the office computer so a saved file was always a licensed version. Thankfully didn't loose any files.

TIP when creating the tool path, "save as" and use the same name as the v-carve file.

If I buy the bundle (Cut3D, Vcarve Pro, and Photo V-carve) it's almost like getting Photo V-carve thrown in for free. Also, it would seem that I should be able to do my 3D modeling in Corel, AI, Inkscape or a host of other programs available. If anyone has had any good luck with clip art programs, I'd be happy to hear about it. Most I think are a waste of money because you'll get a few decent images and a whole lot of filler and unusable garbage to fill out your money.

By the way, it seems that Inkscape has come up with an add on, "G code tools", that acts as a CAM program after you've modeled your stuff. I think that for now, complicated carvings and such are beyond it's abilities, but for 2D or 2.5D, it might be Ok. Anyway, I don't think any of the other bigger graphics programs have it, so Inkscape is one up on them.

Also, it would seem that I should be able to do my 3D modeling in Corel, AI, Inkscape or a host of other programs available
    None of these programs have 3D modeling capabilities.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Cool

neil

if you purchased zenbot, i guess you migth limited on financing programs
    for 2d toolapths you can use draftsigth,
    just a little remark, ger21 can write you gcode with notepad... without any camprogram...

and for vcarving look for F-engrave.. F-engrave makes pocketing too..

so in draftsigth you can make all profilecut, and F-engrave makes pocketing and vcarving..

so you can start without spending on programs..

programs turning affordable if you have bussiness.. without bussiness no one give you money to buy programs..

i just noticed it was an old topic... neil possible solved since..

gerry

i think aspire does what photovcarve

ok.. try these

for v bit.. first figure a vbit with given stepover how deep can cut as between lines remain about 5 percent uncut area..
    for vynyl needed about 10 percent...

that depth need to be set for modelheigth..
    model remain in normal state not reversed..
    of course reaching good result you migth count on what possible the viewer distance

you can make it with finish raster with vbit..

for corian model need to be negative or call it ""mold"" and model thickness should be around a few mm only ..
    finish toolpath ballendmill, or for very fine details migth engraving bit with 0.2 flat tip

================================================== ======

the v bit effect i made long time ago with casmate and with the photocut method.. that was around 1995... we had no acces only for casmate.. casmate worked with plotters and with routers too.. had at least 20-30 different plotter driver..

photocut evaluate grey pic pixel by pixel, and make heigth values as width and runs two paralell vector..
    it can involve more pixel width in one line.. and make an average of..
    so after strips were ready, program closed them on one end and all line other end was joined together to pulling out the vynyl easyly.. or weeding..

and this i cutted with vbit on a white pvc like sintra.. and filled with paint..

also we tried it breaking down with corel to CYMK pictures, and cutted the colors to 3 different angles, the result was a colored picture without moire..

and really remember photovcarve was sold on ebay.. around 2003 or so.. i emailed the seller asking them about they made the effect and gave them my or our experiment..
    they didnt answer really..

so what photovcarve makes that can be reproduced with vynyl or cutting mask, can be painted..
    i send you some pictures... i didnt checked yet, but theres free mill, and that also could make it..
    if it accept vbit...
    you can try it with meshcam..