587,913 active members*
3,808 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Air brake on Series 1 CNC

I was wondering if anyone knows how to take the air brakes ram apart, I have a leak and want to replace the seals/"O" rings but cant figure out how it comes apart.

Hood

Hello Hood! I have never tried. I believe the older ones had a snap ring to facilitate getting it apart. The newer ones may be swedged and a perishable/throw away item. Someone decided that the cost of repair exceeded the new price. Try some air cylinder places like BIMBA.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks George, think I will hold it in the vice and see if I can whack the opposite end up the way, if it breaks I can live without it for a few days until I get another. I see a few on eBay UK but forgot to measure the stroke today so better wait until I can measure tomorrow before I buy.

Hood

Hood, there are a pile of BOSS 5s that I have seen with no air brake. Instead they have a lever similar to the series 1 standard. It may be a nice thing to have but not absolutely necessary. replace it at your convenience.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well took it apart today, it is swaged, I managed to turn out the swaged part and then pull it apart. The seals are pretty well screwed in the lower end. I priced new seals and decided to just get a new cylinder instead. I found two on eBay which look almost identical in dimensions and fittings but they have a stainless steel body rather than the aluminium. I got the two of them for not much more than the seals were going to cost.
    Was using the mill without the brake and it was a real PITA, suppose I would soon get used to it but hopefully I wont have to.
    Hood