587,472 active members*
3,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Sharp CNC > advanced jigging and fixturing

advanced jigging and fixturing

I have the Sharp super mini and am having trouble with jigging and fixturing - especially when I have to turn a piece over to do other side. Am looking for a turorial or book or anything that will help. Need some consulting, otherwise will have to learn by trial and error. anyone have any info?

Search for "Edward G Hoffman" in the used book section at Amazon.com. He has a book on fixture design for less than ten bucks. There are some other books available on the same page.

http://www.amazon.com/Jig-fixture-de...5059963&sr=1-9
    Software For Metalworking
    http://closetolerancesoftware.com

What do your pieces look like? I am quite happy to make suggestions but drawings or pictures are needed.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks for the reply, I'll look up that book on amazon
    I'm a motorcycle frame and wheel straightner mostly for the track sport community. The parts I want to make are all the typical damaged parts I run across, foot peg kits, triple clamps, engine covers, ect.
    For example, when doing a 2D part like a foot peg mounting bracket, which is flat, I would typically cut it from plate. But would you normally cut all the way through the plate? Or leave a small amount for a hold, then turning to finish cutting it out. Seems to me the piece would pop out if you are cutting all the way through. These are some of the questions I need help with.
    I've made 2-sets of triple clamps so far, and they are actually functional, I didn't scrap them. I find the first side cut is easy, holding a brick in a couple of good vises. But when I turn the part, it's hard to get a good hold and I get harmonic and chatter problems. Especially in an unsupported area. So Geof, what kind of drawing or model would you be able to look at? Can you take a mastercam file or Solidworks file? Or does it have to be .dwg?
    P.S. I'm new to the Cnc world and this forum is awesome.
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
    ..... So Geof, what kind of drawing or model would you be able to look at? Can you take a mastercam file or Solidworks file? Or does it have to be .dwg?
    P.S. I'm new to the Cnc world and this forum is awesome.
    Thanks again
    Only jpg, I do not use any CAD programs.

I can possibly give you hints on what to look for on a part that can help with fixturing.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

PizzaMan:
    You can send the file(s) over to me in SolidWorks or MasterCAM... It would be helpful to "see" the part.

I'd also be happy to look at what you're doing and give you some ideas.

I use soft jaws if I have to make a few parts that don't have any flat surfaces to clamp. A softjaw for a triple clamp would be pretty easy. Take the outside profile and use that to cut the jaws. Make sure you have something clamped between the jaws to keep them tight when you machine them. The jaws will also locate the part so no worries about a stop.