586,036 active members*
3,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > A short e-book on program editing procedures on Fanuc CNC

A short e-book on program editing procedures on Fanuc CNC

You might have seen my book on macro programming published through McGraw-Hill.
    CNC Programming using Fanuc Custom Macro B: S.K Sinha: 9780071713320: Amazon.com: Books

Here is another book (Kindle edition only) which explains in detail how to enter and edit a program using the MDI panel of a Fanuc CNC machine. I wanted to make it free, but anything given for free loses its importance. I, therefore, have kept a token price of US$4.99 only.
    CNC Programming Skills: Program Entry and Editing on Fanuc Machines - Kindle edition by S.K Sinha. Professional & Technical Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Do you know how to insert a part of a program into another program at the desired location? Background editing?? Using PCMCIA card??? Or, maybe, a simple task such as replacing G02 by G03 in the whole file????
    When it comes to manual program entry on the machine, or searching / deleting / editing / copying / moving / inserting an existing program residing in the control memory or the PCMCIA card, most people resort to trial and error method. While they might be able to accomplish what they desire, the right approach would save a lot of their precious time. If this is exactly what you want, this book is for you. The information contained herein is concise, yet complete and exhaustive.
    The best part is that you can enjoy the convenience of having the wealth of useful information on editing techniques even on your smart phone which is always with you! You would often need to refer to it because it is not possible to memorize all the steps which are many a time too complex and devoid of common logic, so as to make the correct guess.

The following excerpt from the book would give an idea of the methodical and step-by-step approach adopted in the book:

"The following operation will save program number 1234 in the memory card, with the name TESTPROG:
    • Select the EDIT mode on the MOP panel.
    • Press the PROG key on the MDI panel.
    • Press the next menu soft key (►).
    • Press the soft key CARD.
    • Press the soft key OPRT.
    • Press the soft key PUNCH.
    • Type 1234 and press the soft key O SET.
    • Type TESTPROG and press the soft key F NAME.
    • Press the soft key EXEC.
    While the file is being copied on the memory card, the character string OUTPUT blinks at the lower right corner of the screen. Copying may take several seconds, depending on the size of the file being copied.
    If a file with file name TESTPROG already exists in the memory card, it may be overwritten unconditionally or a message confirming the overwriting may be displayed, depending on a parameter setting. In case of such a warning message, press the EXEC soft key to overwrite, and CAN soft key to cancel writing. However, system information such as PMC ladder is always overwritten unconditionally. The copied file is automatically assigned the highest existing file number plus one. The comment, if any, with the O-word (i.e., in the first block of the program) will be displayed in the COMMENT column of the card directory.
    To write all programs, type -9999 as the program number. In this case, if file name is not specified, all the programs are saved in file name PROGRAM.ALL on the memory card. A file name can have up to 8 characters, and an extension up to 3 characters (XXXXXXXX.XXX). Repeat the last three steps to copy more files. Finally, press the CAN soft key, to cancel the copying mode and go to the previous menu".

Re: A short e-book on program editing procedures on Fanuc CNC

This is the second e-book in the series, “CNC Programming Skills.”
    CNC Programming Skills: Understanding G73 on a Fanuc Lathe - Kindle edition by S K Sinha. Professional & Technical Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

How do you machine a job with a non-monotonic variation in surface profile, i.e., with radial or axial undercuts, if Type II G71 / G72 cycles are not available? May use a CAM software if you have access to it. That is perfectly okay. But, how do you machine a workpiece obtained by casting or forging with only slightly oversized dimensions, say, about 2 mm? One cannot use G70 because removing 2-3 mm material in one pass may not be permissible. G71 or G72 would be too inefficient because the tool would cut in air most of the time. One can, of course, use a CAM software where the initial shape may be appropriately defined, but that also requires additional modeling time as well as software expertise. G73, on the other hand, can very quickly machine it to the final size in just a few passes (depending on the chosen depth of cut in one pass and the amount of over-size). G73 is designed mainly for such applications only. Read on and find out yourself. Manual part programming would never be the same again!

By the way, I forgot to mention that its price is only US$0.99 (all inclusive).
    amazon did not allow a price lower than this.

if you are going to do this type of thing you should at least use a format of file that is accepted and well used, like PDF. No one will buy your kindle formatted rubbish that can only be read in the terrible Kindle Cloud Reader and can't be read offline. Since it is essentially a copyrighted document you have re-worded, you would be better to give it away for free. Your text is just copied from Fanuc manuals. This is no longer a simple explanation of some concepts in a forum post to help a fellow machinist, this is stealing copyrighted works and selling to make money (even 0.99c is money). I know you are not a real qualified CNC Programmer or CNC Machinist so you can not possibly know things that a man with hands-on experience knows by doing actual work on many CNC machines over many years. Meaning you can not say this is your own knowledge built up over years. Its clear you just copied Fanuc manuals while doing a bit of comparing against a CNC machine with Fanuc 0i control that you have access to, then printed it in a slightly different format point-for-point that could be easier to understand for the average Joe. But it is still a Fanuc document. I wonder what Fanuc would say when they find out you have copied most parts of a Fanuc Operators Manual and re-published it as your own. The same could be said for your Macro book which is also mostly copied from the Fanuc Macro section of any common Fanuc Programming Manual, albeit with a few more examples. Certainly you are very close to copyright infringement.

There is no need to own a kindle. One may download it on a smartphone and read it offline. Free kindle app is available on Amazon's site.

I did want to make it free, but Amazon didn't allow. $0.99 was the lowest price which was acceptable.

Thank you for your opinion.

The kindle format provided via Amazon can only be read ONLINE in the Kindle Cloud Reader. There is no [easy] way to get the physical file out of the web reader and into any other device (presumably to inhibit sharing). If you think doing it that way will totally prevent this from being shared you are seriously out of touch. You can 'download' it to the device you bought it on (in some kind of compressed form that is not readable) but it can't be transferred to any other device. You can google that if you don't believe me. Either way anything Kindle is crap and no one will buy 466 lines of text copied from the program editing section of the Fanuc 0i-series Operation Manual. I see you did not address or acknowledge this issue as I pointed out above, which tells us you know you have lifted content illegally. These books go beyond 'fair use'.

If you sell copyrighted content you are liable to legal action. If you want to do this, make it free and you will likely be in less legal hot water because your purpose is to help people not profit. You can make it free at a dozen or more places on the net. Make a free blog (for example at blogspot or blogger) and put the files there. Or a dozen other places. Try googling for info on how to do it. Or better, make a CNC blog and add posts daily about how to do things. You will earn more respect for having a helpful blog than copying text from a Fanuc manual and selling it. Using Amazon as somewhere to host your warez for a price because you don't know any other way is not an excuse. Just as ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

Also if you are going to do this get your info straight and up to date. Your text does not point out that the CNC machine will only read ATA PCMCIA cards. While PCMCIA cards were once used, the older type were not ATA compliant and didn't work (these are termed Linear Flash Cards). Today in 2015 it is more common to use a Compact Flash card in a PCMCIA ATA adapter. Cards are/were available in as low as 4MB (and possibly even down to 2MB) and now CF/ATA cards are available as large as 512GB (though over-the-top expensive) and 64GB CF cards are cheap and commonplace. The majority of CNC machines will not read cards greater than 512MB and a 64MB card is a good size to start with. Sure some newer i-series machines made in the mid 2000's may read cards larger than 512MB but stating CNC machines with a PCMCIA slot will read an 8GB card (as your text suggests) validates my points that the basis of your text is copied from other sources and not taken from multiple and exhaustive actual CNC machine research. The whole point of writing a book is to create something that is informative, expresses new concepts and is intellectually interesting and/or provides something new. Your 'book' fails on all points.

Furthermore, your claim above that we can use the Fanuc extended edit function to replace G02 with G03 i.e. [Or, maybe, a simple task such as replacing G02 by G03 in the whole file???? ] is merely dramatization to sell your wares. There is no way to do that in a CNC controller because once you replace G02 with G03 on the first pass then all of the circular interpolation commands become G03 and there is no way to know which of those were G03 before and need to be changed to G02. Certainly not while standing in front of a CNC machine staring at the screen filled with all G03's. You would need a printout or copy to reference and it would require a two-step conversion (change G02 to G## then change G03 to G02 then change G## to G03). Plus, depending on what you are trying to achieve, the sign of X and I usually needs to be reversed (for example for a two-turret one-piece saddle machine in a mirror image conversion) otherwise the path will be totally wrong. Your book does not even mention that task.... yet you still chose to advertise that the info is in your book (which it isn't!). It is possible of course but it requires either careful manual modification or some special PC-based CNC editing software that can properly handle that task using multiple conversion steps as mentioned above.

In short your 466 line 'book' is lacking research, new and unique concepts and intellectual content.

Kindle version does have some limitations, but that is the reason why e-books are so cheap. It is true that you cannot possibly take a print, nor can you have it on multiple devices. If you are a kindle owner or a "kindle unlimited member" on amazon, you have more flexibility. I, actually, suggest the use of smart phones for short kindle books (not necessarily mine).

If I describe a Fanuc feature, the original source of information has to be Fanuc manuals only. I cannot invent something new. I can only describe more clearly what is not so clear in Fanuc manuals. This is true for all software-based books (AutoCAD, Matlab etc.). The original company never objects because the author of such a book only publicises their products. Rest assured, Fanuc would never question me even if it is cut/paste (which it is not) at certain places.

I have not said that Fanuc accepts 8GB cards. I was only describing type of cards. Moreover, the book is on editing procedures only. It is not for hardware description. What I presented is: given a Fanuc machine, how to edit programs on it.

When I was talking about replacing G02 by G03, I was meaning only typing mistake. If somebody types G02 in place of G03 by mistake, he would need to correct it. I did not mean to redefine these codes.

There are people who liked my macro book (of which you have a pirated pdf). They, obviously, do not agree that it is just a cut/paste from Fanuc manuals.

I agree that you know much more than me, but when people like you are too busy to write books, less busy people like me have to come forward. I cannot write as good as you can, but you are not writing. If you write a book, I would be the first person to buy it. I do not see any reason why you are so unkind to me.

The preview on the book page does not give any information about the book. Therefore, I have attached a part of it for those who might be interested.