587,507 active members*
3,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

850SX DNC issue

I have a 1995 1250 Sabre with an 850SX control. I have made a crossover cable for file transfer and it seems to work correctly but when I am DNC'ing or "drip feeding" a large program it works fine until somewhere near the end...it seems as tho it looses the last packet of data. I am using CADEM NCnet on a windows XP computer with a usb-rs232 converter. Any thoughts??

Barry

I had a hard time setting up my Sabre 1000 with the 850SX to run DNC.
    I worked on it with several different companies for 3 months and got no where. My wife found a company auctioning software on ebay named Control-Link systems. I bought a seat and called the guy he had my control configured in less than 10 min.s and it has worked flawlessly for close to 10 yrs now.

sounds like slowlearner has a good solution for you!

in the meantime, if indeed it works except it stops just short of the last statements, can u fool it by adding 1 or 10 or? or? number of dumby do-nothing- statements at the end so when the control finishes the real program it can simply ignore the no-op stuff?

Thanks Mike, IIRC it sounds like "buffer overrun" but I have only had 1 cup of coffee as of yet. Something in the back of my mind keeps screaming shielded
    null modem cable though.

Most likely the controller is looking for end of program or end of transmission characters. I know from our experience you need to also throw in about 100 nulls at the end of the transmission. You can do this thru your DNC program or maybe look at one of products if you can't do it. It would tedious to add this to each program you need to DNC.

Also, not sure what type of hardware is used to communicate (builtin serial card, 3rd party add on, USB) but make sure FIFO is set correctly. This will burn you each and every time.
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000

Thanks for everything so far. I haven't had a chance to try anything different yet. Today I will tho.
    Mike..I have been posting more program than I need and that does work but as I'm sure you can relate to..I want to know whats causing it!!
    I am using hardware handshaking so I don't think I can use a null cable..can I? I did not check fifo settings yet but I am guessing it is on. That will be the next thing to try.

So far I am not gaining on this issue. A search for Control-Link Systems on ebay turned up nothing. Is there any other name associated with that software?

Try controlinksystems.com and you will find the demo download and the contact info.

You definitely want to use hardware handshaking.
    Set the control up for protocol 1, data bits are fixed at 8, N parity, and 1 stop bit. Set the PC up for 7, E, 2, and make the baud rates match. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to run 19200 baud. Call me at 316.290.9470 if you can't get it.

Try 8 data, 1 stop bit, no parity on the control
    7 data, 1 stop, even parity on the PC.
    Hardware handshake on both (L1 protocol on the 850, RTS/CTS on the PC)
    Set system comm data #110 on the 850 to 37.
    Add a % character to the end of your file (this will tell the 850 it is the end of program)
    Oh yeah, a full crossover cable is needed.