586,043 active members*
3,574 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 4020HT X-axis issue

4020HT X-axis issue

1995 machine. Recently PM serviced. Motors all tested "caution" when meggered. So recently I had some overcurrent alarms on X-axis. Figured right away motor issue....new motor, same problem. Pulled the motor, and the x-axis ballscrew is SUPER tight - can't turn it without a 1/2" drive ratchet. I dropped the gibs which, in turn, I now have turcite peeling off. I thought maybe some crap got hammered up in there. Ball screw is still super tight w/o gibs attached.

At this point I am ready to call a tech as I think I'm in over my head....every bolt I turn is costing me money now. But, in a perfect world, what's the next step? Pull the table off and look at the ballscrew? That's a ***** because I have a bolster plate and a big 4th axis. Could it possibly be a bad thrust bearing?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Re: 4020HT X-axis issue

Check to see if there is any lube on the front or rear way.

If either way is just lube starved, you *might* get lucky by removing the way lube line from the side manifold and pumping it full of WD40 using a McMaster-Carr PN 1811K1 lubrication gun or equivalent (with the appropriate fittings to mate with the lube line). Move the table back and forth a small amount at a time and keep repeating until the the table is at the end of its travel. Reach underneath when at the end of travel and ensure the turcite grooves are clear.

If it is nearly seized and you see any rust or pitting on one of the ways, one should undo the ball screw and raise the table to where the turcite and horizontal way surface can be properly cleaned. One still needs to pump the line and check the manifold metering jet to ensure it isn't plugged. Once clear, the gibbs will have to be readjusted.

Re: 4020HT X-axis issue

If you have lube on the ways, its possible that it is the thrust bearings, if the seals gave out in a way that dowfrost is getting to the bearings and wash out the grease and they will get messed up pretty quick. you said that you dropped the gibs, but it sounds like you dropped the straps the gibs are under the straps, straps hold the table from moving up, four of them two on the front and two on the back, under the front straps are the gibs, I'm hoping you loosened all of them, if so and the ball screw still will not turn by hand, check and see if there is oil on the ball screw, if not the ball nut might be rusted and in turn the lube system needs to be flushed and like jon_fallon said a metering unit or units are plugged and will need to be replaced. depending on what you find you will need to remove the nut holding the ball screw to the bearing mount and if its the screw you will need to unbolt the ball nut too. Bottom line, removing the table is only needed if the turcite needs to be replaced. however the ball screw and bearing mount have to be separated and the screw has to come out the opposite end from the motor.
    Hope this gives you a little more understanding of what is involved, and its just a Fadal you really can't get in over your head they are simple machines which is part of their beauty.

Fadal is imfamous for pulling the nylon lube lines from the ballscrews and table slides. If you have Turcite falling off then you have a major problem. The table needs to be removed and the ways need to be re-turcited. This service was available from Fadal years ago, However not sure about now. Further more I suspect your ballscrew is toasted, as oil supply has probable been minimal as nylon lube line has probable been oiling chips instead of the nut. Sorry for the bleak outlook but this is where I found myself with a 1989 6030 in 1997. I removed table and sent it to Fadal for re-turcite.They shipped it back with all new parts including ballscrew. Additionally they sent a lenght standard to calibrate new ballscrew backlash. ALL mettering blocks for the lube system should be replaced. Weekly monitor nylon lube lines and you will be a happier camper!