587,308 active members*
3,701 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4 axis SWARF operation in InventorCAM

hello, i've been struggling with inventorcam lately. we have a 4 axis (rotary on x axis) machine setup and i'm unable to use swarf operation with this setup. our local dealer and the guy on online support both stated that swarf operation is unavailable for 4 axis machine id's in inventorcam. now this is ridiculous since i know several other cam systems which supports 4 axis swarf operations.
    our local support tells me to use "Simultaneous 5 axis Milling" in place of SWARF but the operation is not suitable since it is for machining floors, not walls.
    i've tried countless tricks to get round the restriction:
    - using Simultaneous 5 axis Milling - parallel to surface, smooth surface output is impossible. variations throughout the surface occurs.
    - defining walls as drive surfaces in Simultaneous 5 axis Milling - morph between two boundary curves (which is supposed to be the floor) and curves as top and bottom edges of the wall. a good finish can be obtained on smoothly perpendicular walls but curving walls cannot be machined smoothly.
    - playing with the vmid (machine id) file to add useless (like parallel axes etc) 5th axes or restricting axes to make SWARF available and output B0 or C0 codes, failed.
    by the way, the walls on the part i am trying to use swarf on is suitable for 4 axis swarf, it is completely machinable.
    any idea on how to use swarf operation on a 4 axis machine?

Re: 4 axis SWARF operation in InventorCAM

Will ask my Solidcam r&d support soon.

Re: 4 axis SWARF operation in InventorCAM

solidcam was used to have 4 axis swarf operations, but now it is deleted, send me some files and I will show it to you. [email protected]