586,070 active members*
3,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > 3D Cutting a Negative Taper with X7.

3D Cutting a Negative Taper with X7.

I am trying to cut a 4 degree negative taper with a 6 degree dovetail type tool with a .010" corner radius on it. I got it to cut right with a Surface Flowline tool path but can't get it to retract without gouging the part. How do I get it to go to the center of the taper before retracting? Or should I try a different type of tool path?

Thanks

I am using a Makino 3-axis machine.

Re: 3D Cutting a Negative Taper with X7.

I don't know exactly, but I would just manually add something like G0 X0.0 Y0.0 before the Z+ move.

Jeff

I generally try and avoid inserting any thing manually after posting. Should you need to re-post for any reason and forget that crucial line you're dead. I faced the same situation with an undercut area once and a fellow programmer suggested a work around that sounds kind of hokey but actually worked quite well.

1. Backplot existing program and save as geometry.
    2. Create a line from end point of final segment of cut portion of toolpath to center of taper. create another line that represents retraction along Z axis to clearance plane
    3. Create a contour toolpath and select 3d mode. Chain modified toolpath with added retraction moves.
    4. Ghost reference toolpath rather than delete in case you want to modify later.

With this method you can confirm results through backplot and verify.
    Ray
    NX 9.0.3.4 MP1

A Surfacing strategy has an option to adjust the lead on/off of a tool, not just by some strategies having the ability to add an arc &/or an extension line

Look for the "Direction" option.......NOTE, do not set this until you have done ALL the other adjustments of the tool on the job paths
    left side for the approach, right side for departure
    ...this is a global setting for ALL tool contacts in this operation.... so everything must be looked at carefully, as it is NOT part of gouge checking, it is not "gouge checked", nor is it actually part of the toolpath that contacts the drive surfaces,,,,,these are little moves tagged onto each end of each cutting pass