586,035 active members*
3,848 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > 2d Tabs on contour to hold part in blank

2d Tabs on contour to hold part in blank

Is there an easy way to do 2D part tabbing in PartMaster? For example when doing the final oustside contour on an aluminum part .125 thick is there an easy method to tab the part into the blank so it doesn't move when the contour is finished. I am familiar with tabbing of parts for laser and punching operations but wanted to know if there is a machining method within the program or will I have to break up the contour and program it so it will have tabs to hold the part? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.
    Wes

usually just foil ,it for a .125 thick part cut .120/.122 then deburr

but using partial machining(options tab) allows you to sort of create tabs
    other than that do it at the cad stage

mike

Quote Originally Posted by metalworkz View Post
    Is there an easy way to do 2D part tabbing in PartMaster? For example when doing the final oustside contour on an aluminum part .125 thick is there an easy method to tab the part into the blank so it doesn't move when the contour is finished. I am familiar with tabbing of parts for laser and punching operations but wanted to know if there is a machining method within the program or will I have to break up the contour and program it so it will have tabs to hold the part? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.
    Wes
    Wes,

Is this on the milling module or the wire edm module?

milling module.

Hi Chad,
    It is on the milling module.
    I wanted to see if there is an easy method in the program to hold the part in the blank for example with tabs or micro joints similar to the way parts are tabbed into a sheet for laser and punch work. The small tabs or micro joints (like at 4 corners .020-.030 tabs) hold the part and blank together and make for easy punching or lasering of multi-part blanks. I figured I could break up the contour in the CAD stage and create the tabs where needed but it would sure save some time on the programming end if the software had an option to do this for you.
    For small parts it would be great if there is a way to nest them and run multiple parts but I will need to implement a method of holding the parts together on the blank to make this feasable.
    Thanks Mike Jeffers for the partial machining foil suggestion.
    I just wanted to say I am very pleased with the results I have already had with the Dolphin PartMaster program!
    Wes

Wes,

I will email a couple videos I had created that shows how you do this in the milling module of the software.

P.S. If there is anyone else that would like these please let me know so that I can email them to you.

Hi Chad,
    Thanks for the videos on bridging contours! It looks like exactly what I wanted for an option to add tabs where needed without doing extensive redrawing at the CAD stages. This will save us a lot of time and provide a better way to keep parts and multi-part blanks together in the blank.
    Best regards,
    Wes

Hi Chad

I'd like to see the videos.

Best Regards,

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by r.r.mccoy View Post
    Hi Chad

I'd like to see the videos.

Best Regards,

Roy
    Sent Videos to email this morning Roy.

I have found that a lot of emails won't accept the file size that the videos are. So I have put the videos under the support page on my website. Below is a link to that page.

http://dolphincadcamusa.com/Support.html

Thanks for the videos Chad.

The downloads worked just fine.

These videos you guys produce sure make things easy to understand.

Video

The link in this thread is no longer active. Does anyone have this video that the could send to me or point me in the right direction?

Partial Machining Video

Here is a link to download a new video that explains the "partial machining" function for leaving "tabs" and/or having "clamps"

Partial Machining Lesson
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin USA View Post
    Here is a link to download a new video that explains the "partial machining" function for leaving "tabs" and/or having "clamps"

Partial Machining Lesson
    Thank you for the video. This really cleared it up for me.

Glad it helped; thank you for the update.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Thank you for the video. This really cleared it up for me.