587,434 active members*
3,251 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > 2000 Arrow 500 boot problems

2000 Arrow 500 boot problems

Hello All,

This is my second topic on this forum, the first issue (x-axis encoder problem on the same machine) was resolved with the help of you for which I thank you all again.

Unfortunately (for me) I am in need of some assistance again. Here it goes:

We recently moved our shop (hired a pro rigger to move the machine etc.) and I am now trying to recommission my my Arrow 500 (year 2000, A2100 control, blue vickers drives.) after having wired everything just the way it was at the old shop, I tried to power it up without success.

Voltages at the machine disconnect are ~230 line to line between all three phases, when the disconnect is powered up, machine fans go etc. as expected, however, when I go to power up the control by pressing the green button on the pendant, the screen flashes once and remains dark. The first time I did this, I noticed all the LEDs on the manual pulse generator light up for about a second and then go out. During every subsequent attempt at powering up the machine, these LEDs remained unlit.

I would assume that it is not necessarily a power supply issue since the screen does flash, however, I am just guessing here.

Any thoughts, advice, or similar experiences (hopefully with solutions :-) ) would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Kind Regards,

ih

sounds like first time thru when leds flashed then went off it took maybe the main 24vdc power supply fuse? flash on crt sounds like it is getting power still.

I'd be looking at fuses everywhere. you DO have wiring diagram for your machine, right? If not, I am pretty sure Fives (aka mag, cincinnati milacron) has them available to email u - dont know if they charge for em

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response, I do have diagrams but they are for the ERE series machine (slightly different.) I guess I'm going to have to go to town with the voltmeter on this one. Hopefully its nothing more serious though.

Thanks again,
    ih

First, keep in mind, just because the display is not coming on, doesn't mean the control isn't booting (up). In situations like this, I frequently have to repair the hard drive because the customer has corrupted it before I arrive by shutting off the main disconnect repeatedly while the control is still active.

The next thing you need to do is determine if the control is booting up and there is no display, or if the control isn't even trying to come up. When you mentioned you get a flash, is it just momentary, or do you see the BIOS splash and then it goes blank? What is your WS Board part number, this may let me determine other possibilities.

I'll reply to your PM with more specifics. If you let me know what hardware is in your control I can try keep it as specific to your machine as possible.

Thank you both for your replies, I was unable to test last night since we had pretty bad storm going through and lost power to the shop. I will attempt to investigate today and report back with findings.

Thank you both again.
    best,
    ih

A few images of the control, to give you a better idea of the specifics of the hardware.
    Attachment 203856
    Attachment 203858
    Attachment 203860
    Attachment 203862

2000 Arrow 500 boot problems

So after getting the power back, did some testing: the power supply in the control appears to have 230VAC going to it, (actually closer to 240V) but the LEDs on the boards are unlit and PS fan is not spinning which may indicate that PS has been fried? Picture attached.

To pull the PS though and get at the connections on the board, it seems as though I need to pull the WS board and everything else that's connected to it. Does one risk losing BIOS settings during this procedure?

Any thoughts or procedures would be greatly appreciated?

Thank you all again.
    Best,
    ih

i have c.b.ferrari s54e with control elexa e132 please cat you send me the catalog of the elctronic any one can help me i have problmes with the machine

If you look in your prints they should show the 12V (I think the transformer is on page 4), but I believe it was only used for the worklight(s).

Based on what you have described here so far, it sounds like the Power supply is dead. If you don't have a spare, I keep several of these on hand so should be able to get you one quickly if needed.

I've managed to conclude that I was at fault with the 12V since my meter was set at DC and 12V is indeed there but it's AC.

It seems that I will in fact need a power supply from you on short order.

Do you have a procedure for removing the one that's in there without losing BIOS settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Managed to pull the WS board and disconnect the power supply. Thanks for all the guidance. You were right by the way, also found the 12V (AC!) in the prints and it indeed only supplies the work light!

I'm now trying to bench test the PS but it looks like I might need at least a load resistor to get this thing to go(?)

Thanks again Maver1ck et al!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Arrow 500
    We had/have a similar boot/start-up problem.
    An experienced repair person informed us of finicky bridge-board connections.
    This is the board that bridges/connects the main boards.
    Loosen board thumb screws, remove and clean board connection contacts/slots, re-assemble (although just wiggling works many times).
    It's as simple as that, for us.
    I have to do this a few times a year.
    Good luck.