587,375 active members*
3,072 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 1993 Vf-2p

1993 Vf-2p

I found a used 93 VF-2P that needs spindle repair. Anyone know how much a new spindle is? What does the "P" stand for? I have a 89 tree journeyman 325 with a Delta 20 controller now but need or "Want" a small machining center for something I can afford and the Haas might fit the bill. If anyone can give me the heads up on this machine I would appreciate it.

I think it depends on what is wrong with it, it will probably have to be shipped to a spindle rebuilder and diagnosed, they will give you a quote. You can also consider just buying a rebuilt spindle, there are several online sources. Regardless of which route you choose my guess is $3500. We should start a pool and see who comes the closest.

If it's around that price I would have to get them to come down on price to make it worth while if that is indeed what I would have to do. I am unsure of exactly what is wrong with it.

Fastolds,

The last spindle cartridge I bought from Haas for a machine of this vintage was in 3/01 and it was $3995.00..but Haas has (or had, and I'm sure they still do) a 50% return policy when you return your old spindle cartridge to them.

So they would credit you $1997.50 if after the spindle is returned it is rebuild able. So final cost would be $1997.50.

This would be thru a Haas HFO in your area.

It is a pretty straight forward job to replace the spindle cartridge yourself. Or of course you could have the Haas dealer do it..at an added cost.

You can call your local Haas HFO, with the serial number and get pricing.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That wouldn't be to bad if it was just $2000 if the rest of it was ok. They want $8000 for the machine so If I could get them down to say $6000 I just might buy it. Being this is an older machine, is it capable of high speed machining? Thanks for the info

Does it have the spindle speed for high speed machining? Even 10k rpm isn't really in the high speed machining realm.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I guess I should rephrase that. Does it read enough blocks per second to do complex contouring at speeds more than 50 IPM. On some mills the machine gets jerky at higher feed rates. What does the "P" stand for?

That vintage of a VF2 would be good to about 80 ipm contouring before you would notice any jerkiness. Maybe more..

Of course this would depend on how small the line segments where in the program and how sound the machine was. servos, couplers, backlash, etc.

As for the "P"..never heard of a "P" model..a "D" yes..that would be a delta/wye machine without a gear box..but not in 1993...

And in my opinion $8000.00 for a 1993 VF2 in any kind of shape is a good deal..if you get them down to $6000.00 and it is in fair shape you need to go to church and to confession.

I figured $6000 for the mill and $2000 to fix the spindle motor if thats what it is so I would be at $8000 then. I can get a 1990 cincinnati Sabre 750 for $10,000 without negotiating right now but I prefer the Haas.

050330-0818 EST USA

fastolds:

A problem with older HAAS machines was carbon buildup inside the DC servo
    motors. A shunt resistance of about 1 megohm to ground caused problems
    with the controller. Newer machines have "brushless" servos.

Check if the CRT screen is badly burned.

Mill a circular pocket and check the center error and quality of the circle,
    use a .0001 dial indicator. Depending on the spindle problem you may not
    be able to do this.

Check positioning repeatability.

The older machines were limited to 38.4 kbaud. Newer go to 115.2 kbaud.
    Newer also have XMODEM capability.

The older machines used a mechanical counterweight, newer nitrogen spring.

The older machines had an external and internal fan and isolated the plant
    air from the inside of the electrical enclosure. The new ones have a single
    fan and depend solely upon filters to keep dirt, grease, etc. from getting
    into the enclosure. Our 93 machine is very clean inside the electrical enclosure.

The "Cycle Start" button is a mechanical contact, not very good. A solid-state
    device, such as a Hall sensor, would be a better choice.