586,410 active members*
3,150 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

finally got my mill

well...still have to drive to CT and pick it up, but eh...

its a series 1 bridgport j head.

does anyone know where to get a good cnc conversion for it, or are people just making their own?

I am sure you will find opinions both ways. I have a 66' step pulley J head I am restoring and converting to CNC. I decided to do my own conversion after looking at what others have done. Sort of followed what Vince did on his conversion. Search the forum for user Vince (N4NV). Also Ray L. (HimyKabibble) did a very nice job on his BP clone conversion. There is lots of good help around here.

Started my conversion several years ago, built the motor mounts but then decided to restore the tired mill before spent more money on CNC parts. Stripped it down, had the ways ground/scraped, installed some new bearings and put on fresh coat of urethane paint. Started out thinking I could use the acme lead screws for a while but I could only get the backlash down to about 5 thou. Then I got a lead on some ground ball screws which I just got installed last week. Should have the X and Y steppers installed in the next couple of days then its on to making the knee drive stepper mount. A quill drive is in the works for early next month. I didn't do a thread of my conversion but pictures area on line at http://picasaweb.google.com/cschaffter/CNCMillProject#

ball screw

Tigerpilot,

where did you get the ball screws? I have a 1968 J-head 9 x 42 Bridgeport. Thanks.

Paul

nice set up man. that machine looks nice...fortunatly mine only has about as much use on it a 5 year old jobber shop machine, and has been in a climate controlled body shop, basically unused, for about the last 15-20 years..lol but it was used frequently enough to keep anythign from seizing...and i got it for nothing, so im not complaining lol.

one thing ive noticed during the quest...

precision parts.....expensive

precision parts for a precision part making machine....EXPENSIVE x 2

lol

Paul,
    I got my ball screws from Mell White ( melatthewhitehous at cox dot net) You can search the forum for Mel White back in December. He sold his company and had these in his shop. Don't know if he has any more but I would send him an email.

Craig

Mel can get more. He buys direct from factory. I am very happy with my ballscrews and mounts!
    Nate.
    Ann Arbor Meechigan

nate were they a drop in peice? can i use it with the ball screws in place until i get the rest of the cnc kit?

[Nate,
    Was your Y-axis ball screw long enough, looks like my screw was for a 9" travel table? I ran the nut off the end of the screw the first time I moved the table full aft. I found a fix by mounting the nut forward of the yoke on a .5" spacer. Will have to do untill I can get a longer section of lead screw. Craig

QUOTE=nate;738176]Mel can get more. He buys direct from factory. I am very happy with my ballscrews and mounts![/QUOTE]