586,277 active members*
3,528 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > PM Belleville washer replacement

PM Belleville washer replacement

Greetings All,

1994 VF4 with a zillion tool changes.

I have looked in past threads and didn't seem find the answers to my question.

I will have small window of down time and would like to do some preventive maintenance since I run this machine hard using a 1/2 carb mill like a band saw in 1/2 aluminum plate. Could I ask for your experience for parts (hopefully cheaper than HFO) and for any "need to knows" for belleville washer replacement so I can hopefully complete the job the same day I start.

Thanks in advance

Frank

Don't know what size you need, but keybellvile is the cheapest place to get them.

Frank,
    I have done this on a 99-VF2. It was not holding tools tight in the spindle anymore. Upon dissambly about 60-70% of the washers were in pieces. What I can remember is: When you pull the drawbar assembly out, do so carefully so all the pieces do not fall apart. This way you can get a head count of how many washers are needed. I just measured the diameter and thickness and called MSC for bellville washers. When reassembling, the 4 balls that hold the tool need to be in place before putting the drawbar back into the spindle. I had to make a tool with windows to be able to compress the springs and get the keeepers back in place. The springs are held in a compressed state by what is basically an overgrown version of an automotive valve spring retainer and keepers. I borrowed the drawbar tension tester from my HFO. When I checked what I had done I was 75-100 pounds under their spec but have been running 2 years since with no problems.
    Murph

I have the digital command gauge, and a clamprite gauge. They will vary 100 LBS depending on the machine. Thats normal, since the gauge line may be off a little. I recommend every shop with more than 2 mills get the clamprite set up. It's good PM

Thanks All,

You guys have been a lot of help. With your help there is no telling how much $$ has been saved by average Joe's like me who are not afraid to climb in and turn a wrench. After receiving a few experienced tips, as long as a guy pays attention, it just nuts and bolts!

By chance does any one have their paperwork handy to see what washers were used so I could maybe have the correct ones in hand before I start?

Thanks again!!

FF,
    If you tell me the part # of your drawbar, I can tell you how many springs it is supposed to have. I have a spreadsheet Haas sent me. I have a 1997 VF-0 with drawbar #30-3410D, it has 79 springs and is supposed to have 1200-1450LBS of pull. I believe almost all of the 40 Taper VF-Series 7.5k RPM spindles are the same. Haas only sells the drawbar assembly. I am a 100LBS below spec. I plan on just replacing the springs. I just did this in my Fadal.