587,008 active members*
3,219 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Help with basic programming.

Hi there,

I'm currently enrolled in my first CNC class and haven't yet learned the basics to programming, I've got 3 assignments to complete by Friday and despite numerous attempts, I really have no idea how to begin programming. Any help would be much appreciated, I'm sure the stuff I'm looking at now is fairly easy for most people registered to this site.
    Attached Files Attached Files

This may sound silly as i have not been to collage to learn any cnc code etc i do all mine via GUI click point etc.

When you say programing do you actualy mean typing in all the coords G and M codes to make that part or just drawing it in CAD then using mastercam etc to actualy create the NC file etc?.

Programming Basics

Hi,

If you have been given three jobs to program by Friday, and you don't know where to start, you need to talk to your teacher/lecturer and get to grips with it with his/her help.

These are simple contours which would probably be programmed differently depending on the programmer/control/tooling available, so any example you are given may not be totally relevent to the assignment. Remembering all the G and M codes is the simple bit - its learning when, where and how to apply them safely.

By the time you get and UNDERSTAND the information given off this site your deadline will be up. Understanding some of the concepts can take weeks even when you're doing it day in, day out. Talk to your teacher until it clicks.

DP

this would be a good place to begin http://www.cncezpro.com/gcodes.cfm
    the key things to begin with are :
    the rapid moves , g0 gets you where you need to start cutting
    the feed moves (g1 cutting linear) and feed rates
    arc moves g2/g3 circular interpolation
    drilling cycles
    these will give you a base to stand on then you'll need to determine which other codes will be necessary to make your program work
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I have a quick question on this subject, will Mach3 and other machine controllers have gcodes specific to the software? Hypothetical example: Mach3 will have a gcode X99 that makes toast but that same code on other software makes bagels? Or Mach3 will have gcodes that no other software uses?
    I reason I ask is because I was recently looking at PostProcessors and they have to be software specific...

most g code from g0 up are fairly standard g code for most machine controls . there are the exceptions and each manufacturer will have additional g codes , i've worked with a good number of different controls and for the most part they all speak the same language
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by RySNow View Post
    Hi there,

I'm currently enrolled in my first CNC class and haven't yet learned the basics to programming, I've got 3 assignments to complete by Friday and despite numerous attempts, I really have no idea how to begin programming. Any help would be much appreciated, I'm sure the stuff I'm looking at now is fairly easy for most people registered to this site.
    does your teach give you an instruction sheet what's he look for? I don't what to do if you just give just me the print and ....... give the program, I can make a contour and drill and done, but your teach will ...... etc
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Quote Originally Posted by Drools View Post
    I have a quick question on this subject, will Mach3 and other machine controllers have gcodes specific to the software? Hypothetical example: Mach3 will have a gcode X99 that makes toast but that same code on other software makes bagels? Or Mach3 will have gcodes that no other software uses?
    I reason I ask is because I was recently looking at PostProcessors and they have to be software specific...
    some G-CODE are standard others are control type specific and syntax can vary

Hi there,

are you writing these by hand or are you using software to generate g-code

you will need to know some trig. and what g-codes are

what size tool are you using or are you programing with a zero rad. tool

are the holes drilled or interpolated with an end mill

you first need to define where part zero is ,then you will need the distance x , y for each point from part zero (assuming your doing this in absolute )

then drive the tool from point to point using ,G0 or G1 , for the arcs use G2 or G3

if drilling you can us a G81 cycle or program with a G1 feeding down from the part surface in "Z"

the direction (+ or -) is from the tool , the tool is the drivers seat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesi...rdinate_system

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode_main.html#r1

LOL!!!!

This is our youth at work learning the trades. Anyone in this forum that actually does any more then send you to links for learning CNC is being taken for a ride. Your number 1 post and what you are actually asking is any one on this forum going to do my homework so I can get on with surfing the net and talk to my boys.

This may come as a shock to you but it is important to actually learn this before getting a job in the trades which are dying faster then I can type this message.

Let me take a stab at your profile.
    Young - 18 to 20 years old
    Just got out of high school and told maching is an easy go.
    Never did any homework because who needs to in our great high school system that never fails anybody.
    This is your second semester at College and still looking for the easy way out.

You know what, just buckle down try the assignments and if you are still struggling go to your professor and explain the situation. Like all good professors they will help and show you the light. I would rather help a student who is actually trying then one who wants to get the answers on the web and tell the prof, see I know what I am doing I deserve 100%.

Good luck with your endevors and good luck actually finding a job after your course is completed. This I know for sure, all industry does a very good job of weeding out the incompedent before they get a job.

nevermind...

I'm a firm believer that a future machinist should learn the trade from the ground up. Start out on the manual lathes, mills, grinders, shapers, etc. before going to the CNC side of things. Know how to grind your own tools, including drills, before stepping up to the insert tooling.

I cannot tell you how much I dislike young guys coming into the shop environment and thinking that they're a machinist after having taken a CNC programming course or two. Being a machinist is an ongoing learning experience, taking years to master any single aspect of the trade. Even then, you'll never know it all.

Sorry, but that's my two minute ***** for the day.

Thanks

But I guess you have to walk in my shoes for awhile to understand where I am coming from. Maybe a little strong in what I said and I will appologize for that.

It is very frustrating to see what this net has actually done to our youth and their ability learn. I should of been a little easier on the language but damn the truth sometimes hurts.

Are you by any chance a proferssor or work in the education field? If not please go to your local college and see if you can teach for just one semester. This will open your eyes just a little.

Again that is why I asked this perticular student to see his/her professor for help. It becomes impossible to help students if you don't know if they are struggling or not.

Everyone has an opinion and I was just trying to react to what was posted here. If this individual truly wanted help why not just post one assignment to get the help and then try the other 2 on his own.

But then again I am the ass, go fiqure.

I fully agree with you. This is just another problem on a long list of things that are hurting our future machinists and tool and die industry.

Quote Originally Posted by designerhans View Post
    I fully agree with you. This is just another problem on a long list of things that are hurting are future machinists and tool and die industry.

Ok, here's another gripe of mine... button pushers calling themselves 'machinists'. I've seen some guys out there with 20+ years of 'experience' who don't know the first thing about programming. You'd think after so much time, they'd absorb a little knowledge. These guys need to be shown the door as quickly as possible. Heck, I'll even help push their Craftsman tool boxes out for them. Which leads me to my next gripe... Craftsman tool boxes! (chair)

I'm not going to be a machinist.

I don't have time right now for a proper rebuttal but I'm in my last semester of Mechanical Engineering Tech. at college and will most likely not do any CNC programming within a time span that will allow me to retain any knowledge from this programming course. That is, I have a job lined up that doesn't relate to programming yet I have to take this course to graduate, I'll forget everything I learn in this class before ever having a chance to use it. I firmly believe our post secondary education system is fatally flawed: I can't remember the basics from courses I've taken 2-3 years ago as is the case with most of my peers. I will learn programming throughout the duration of this specific course but because of my workload at this current moment in time I have to focus on other more relevant/difficult assignments/studies. I agree with your perspective on youth even though I am a piece of that. Also, many profs don't give a **** about the youth and provide minimal help when approached. There is no provided written material on how to set cartesian starting points for this course and the prof is of little help, same goes for depth of cut which I mentioned in my last post.

-Ry

I don't have time right now for a proper rebuttal but I'm in my last semester of Mechanical Engineering Tech. at college and will most likely not do any CNC programming within a time span that will allow me to retain any knowledge from this programming course. That is, I have a job lined up that doesn't relate to programming yet I have to take this course to graduate, I'll forget everything I learn in this class before ever having a chance to use it. I firmly believe our post secondary education system is fatally flawed: I can't remember the basics from courses I've taken 2-3 years ago as is the case with most of my peers. I will learn programming throughout the duration of this specific course but because of my workload at this current moment in time I have to focus on other more relevant/difficult assignments/studies. I agree with your perspective on youth even though I am a piece of that. Also, many profs don't give a **** about the youth and provide minimal help when approached. There is no provided written material on how to set cartesian starting points for this course and the prof is of little help, same goes for depth of cut which I mentioned in my last post.

-Ry

I've looked at your pdf files. They're pretty basic. The only thing you really need to do is set your 'Z' height, turn on cutter comp, and figure the transition points of your angles (trig) and your radii. The rest is remedial.

Here's the 1st pdf file...

%
    O0000
    (PROGRAM NAME - CNCZONE)
    (DATE=DD-MM-YY - 09-02-10 TIME=HH:MM - 10:07)
    N100G20
    N102G0G17G40G49G80G90
    /N104G91G28Z0.
    /N106G28X0.Y0.
    /N108G92X0.Y0.Z0.
    (UNDEFINED TOOL - 1 DIA. OFF. - 21 LEN. - 2 DIA. - .5)
    N110T1M6
    N112G0G90X4.9212Y4.187A0.S1069M3
    N114G43H2Z.25
    N116Z.1
    N118G1Z-1.F6.42
    N120X.9842
    N122G3X.7606Y4.0488R.25
    N124G1X-.2236Y2.0803
    N126G3X-.25Y1.9685R.25
    N128G1Y0.
    N130G3X0.Y-.25R.25
    N132G1X7.874
    N134G3X8.124Y0.R.25
    N136G1Y1.9685
    N138G3X7.874Y2.2185R.25
    N140G1X5.9055
    N142G2X5.1712Y2.9528R.7343
    N144G1Y3.937
    N146G3X4.9212Y4.187R.25
    N148G0Z.25
    N150M5
    N152G91G28Z0.
    N154G28X0.Y0.A0.
    N156M30
    %

Take a look at what is being done with the cutter comp. The X0/Y0 is the front left corner of the part. Also, I converted all metric to standard. I hate metric. This quick program only deals with the contour of the part. The placement of the holes were left out. I cannot make it too easy on you.

If you'll study this program, the other assignments should become easier for you to complete. Hope this helps.

PS: I must also tell you that I started the cut at the top of the part profile, not the X0/Y0.

Thanks!

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I still haven't looked at this too much but I seem to be picking up what I need to. From what you've given me I can see the proper format of a program (which I wasn't sure of) and see how some specific codes are used. I'm thinking fiddling with the z axis will be what I need to do for the holes in the middle of the piece. I'll let you know what I get on the assignments.

Thanks again, :wee:

-Ry

a good practice is to have your d # and h # to be the same as your t# , don't get me wrong as I'm not trying to nit pick the program example that was posted but if someone isn't paying attention then bad things can happen very quickly
    also its a good idea to have your workshift in your code as well g54-g59 or so on
    %
    O0000
    (PROGRAM NAME - CNCZONE)
    (DATE=DD-MM-YY - 09-02-10 TIME=HH:MM - 10:07)
    N100G20
    N102G0G17G40G49G80G90
    /N104G91G28Z0.
    /N106G28X0.Y0.
    /N108G92X0.Y0.Z0.
    (UNDEFINED TOOL - 1 DIA. OFF. - 21 LEN. - 2 DIA. - .5)
    N110T1M6
    N112G0G90g54X4.9212Y4.187A0.S1069M3
    N114G43H2Z.25

Page 1 of 2 12