586,432 active members*
4,195 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stripping XP Pro for Mach3

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, if not please move it to the correct part of the forum mods.

The frame for my new cnc router is on it's way and I just picked up the pc I'll be running Mach on.

I'm going to do a fresh install of XP pro and then install Mach3. I'm interested in stripping XP Pro down to its bare bones so there is a less likely chance of any background applications interfering with Mach, robbing ram or processor power.

Anybody have any advice or know of a good direction to point me in to stripping down your machine for Mach?

This may help...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    aka BOOMER52 >>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=159693

Thanks, looks like I won't have to do much at all!

It's amazing how fast and responsive a clean XP install feels, even on dated hardware. I've had great results on P4 class machines at 1.6-2.8GHz. I even ran for a very long time on a P3 equivalent AMD at 800Mhz. Clock speed was limited, but the machine was rock solid. You don't need a lot of memory either. 256-512M seems adequate.

Just avoid the temptation to install apps, browsers, etc.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevespo View Post
    It's amazing how fast and responsive a clean XP install feels, even on dated hardware. I've had great results on P4 class machines at 1.6-2.8GHz. I even ran for a very long time on a P3 equivalent AMD at 800Mhz. Clock speed was limited, but the machine was rock solid. You don't need a lot of memory either. 256-512M seems adequate.

Just avoid the temptation to install apps, browsers, etc.

Steve
    I am also running a P4 with about the sams specs as you list above I think I have 512 RAM. I stripped it down per instructions. I think they recomend you not if not necessary.

I had some issues with my ox/fuel table when I first attempted to use it. Stripped mach, but wasn't the problem. I had table hardware issues. anyway I left it stripped.

I do have V14 AutoCAD loaded & can actually work on drawings ,setting up my nest sheet in sheetcam etc while the torch is working. I just keep the network connection disabled at all times unless needing to download updates to sheetcam, move a file from another workstation etc.

Speaking of computers I am running 2 parallel ports. Most new computers don't even have a parallel on the motherboard & only 1 PCI slot available. I'm wondering if a person shouldn't pick up a couple relics by todays standards for back up.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

I haven't done any special XP cleanup. I do make sure that auto-updates don't install automatically, and I avoid virus protection as that seems to be one of the biggest problems with system performance and stability (IMO).

No wireless networking as I've had lots of trouble with interrupts, even on very fast hardware. I'm behind a hardware firewall and have Windows firewall turned on as well. I don't download and install anything from the internet, read email, etc on that machine. Keep it clean.

Millman, you are a brave man to run AutoCAD while Mach is cutting parts. I know other people who do that as well. There always seems to be plenty of memory and CPU cycles left over (even at fairly high speeds), but I worry that one small hiccup will ruin my job. I run Mach on my control PC and nothing else. Call me paranoid.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevespo View Post
    I haven't done any special XP cleanup. I do make sure that auto-updates don't install automatically, and I avoid virus protection as that seems to be one of the biggest problems with system performance and stability (IMO).

No wireless networking as I've had lots of trouble with interrupts, even on very fast hardware. I'm behind a hardware firewall and have Windows firewall turned on as well. I don't download and install anything from the internet, read email, etc on that machine. Keep it clean.

Millman, you are a brave man to run AutoCAD while Mach is cutting parts. I know other people who do that as well. There always seems to be plenty of memory and CPU cycles left over (even at fairly high speeds), but I worry that one small hiccup will ruin my job. I run Mach on my control PC and nothing else. Call me paranoid.

Steve
    I've never had a hiccup. I tried it several times with the machine operating dry runs. The only thing I have found that will cause a problem is if I close sheetcam or autocad out. I don't generate code or anything like that.

If I close out sheetcam, for sure & I think autocad too. It might not happen exactly on close out but it will trigger an error in mach. At that point all you can do is close all the way out & restart the computer & resume from there.

It may very well bite me in the ass sometime, however I'm sure I have saved enough man hours to buy several sheets of material.

I don't tempt fate when cutting heavy expensive stuff 3/4" & up. I have Mach only running during those sheets.

Since I put my table to use I haven't even let windows update. I have enough trouble getting those to install properly on my office & home PCs. I am of the opinion there IT'S WORKING FINE ....DON'T FIX IT....

That sounds smart to me. I now have a 2nd computer in the shop and I use that for CAD, email, etc. Easier to resist the temptation on my Mach machine.

I bet the application close is triggering a watchdog alert. It might not even affect the cutting, but it means that Mach isn't getting enough cycles to ensure good timing. You can turn those off, but you're taking a risk as well.

Sounds like you have a good system, so I agree - don't mess with it.

Steve

I have already picked up a couple extra licensed unopened versions of XP Pro & 1 version of 2000. Got them cheap figured I could build from things found at the flea market if necessary. I seen a couple P4 1.8GHz, 512 mem, 80Gig HD, HP tower computers on fleabay this week for under 100.00 + 25 freight. They were listed as refurbished. I'm sure that means Hard drive reformatted & dust blew out..

I probably should have popped for at least 1 of those.

Crap I'm still using an AMD 1.8 sempron/XP pro with 1GHz memory in my office. maybe I should just retire it. LOL

I'm wondering now if CNC hardware/software will run on Windows 7 I know I tried it on Vista. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but I sure didn't have any luck.

Mach3 runs on Windows 7.

I use a 1Ghz PIII, and didn't do anything to the clean XP install. It's on my home network (wired), but I've never started IE. Updates and firewall are turned off, and no anti virus.

I've had AutoCAD 2002 and V-Carve Pro running while the machine is cutting, but only in the background. I can't change screens while it's running without a hiccup. :-) but as long as I don't change screens, it'll run rock solid all day long.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Imulated keys (to raise, lower Oxy torch while cutting) will not work if the Mach screen isn't on top either.

I'd say the best policy is to have as little stuff going on as you can get by with. I have always left Sheetcam up in the background in case I need to change a preheat time or pierce delay etc. & re write code.

hello to cnczone im now to cnc and was impressed to make my own for fun

@C.Des
    if u make fresh install u can look in google for nLite, its software with what u can prepare new install cd from your original and strip down windows but u need to read how to use it ... and dont forget that windows always need ram memory if the ram memory is not enough, the operating system start to write on the hard disk drive and that slow normal work ...