586,485 active members*
2,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lubrication !

I never paid much attention to it but what do you guys use for a pump lube that comes with machine? Is there any specialized lube to use for it? I just put some tranny fluid and called it a day but now I am thinking may be I would be better off with something dedicated?

Also on a sidenote is there anything to lube/grease inside the machine itself? Like spindle bearings?

I haven't had to add any yet, but I use vactra #2 way oil on my bridgeport and lathe. Thats what I plan on using on CNC as well. Not sure if we need to oil anywhere else. One thing I wish there was more of with the mill is documentation. I can't even RTFM if I wanted to.

Heres the manual for one of their competitors machine but its basically the same thing. I'm pretty sure there is some oiling info in there.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I just used 10W30 motor oil, cuz it was handy. I don't necessarily recommend motor oil; I only used it because it was there.

You should check that pumping the oiler actually sends oil to where it is supposed to go. On my machine there were a few issues:
    - one of the oil lines had fallen out of the compression fitting
    - the copper tube which drips oil onto the Y ballscrew gets pinched if you clunk the machine against the Y=0 mechanical stop, and could pinch shut. Remove the way covers and have a look.
    - The +Y rail on the X axis doesn't seem to get lube, so I oil it manually. I haven't delved into why.
    - The checkvalve in the oiler got gummed open.

Vactra #2 is generaly the industry standard for cnc oiling of the ways and screws on almost all cnc's. However you mentioned the spindle bearings, you shouldn't need to do anything with the spindle bearings, maybe there is a machine out there that requires regular spindle maintenance but i don't think so. Unless your machine specificaly states to check or grease these then leave the spindle alone. You dont generaly mess with the spindle until it dictates you do so. About the only regular spidle maintenance would be if there is a spindle oil cooler then you would do maintenance on that unit.

Guys,
    First check to see if there is any metering valves on the lines .Some lube lines have a meter valve to distribute oil evenly to the whole system.Make sure they are clear if the machine is bought used!. vectra #2 is good also chain saw oil works on the manual machines really well and is easier on the wallet.

I use Mobil Vactra Oil No. 2 Way Oil Medium on my NM-135 as well.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Da Costa View Post
    I use Mobil Vactra Oil No. 2 Way Oil Medium on my NM-135 as well.

David
    is mobil vectra something youd find in an automotive place? im just using mobil-1 10w30, which novakon said was fine. seems like it would be similar to an engine being iron on iron, except its not subject to high heat.

I use Vactra way oil too; ordered it from MSC in 1-gallon jug. It is slightly "sticky" and hence way wipers don't wipe it off too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    is mobil vectra something youd find in an automotive place? im just using mobil-1 10w30, which novakon said was fine. seems like it would be similar to an engine being iron on iron, except its not subject to high heat.
    No, it is specifically for lubricating ways and I got it from MSC.

David

Not sure where you can get in Canada. Haven't been to a Canadian Tire in years, they might, but I doubt it. Need to find an industrial supply house like Enco, MSC, or McMaster Carr. I don't know if they ship to Canada.