586,657 active members*
3,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Another design finished

Another design finished

The G203V has been redesigned and will be called the G213X. It's just like the G203V but:

1) Has full-step, half-step, 5 microstep and 10 microstep resolutions.
    2) Has 0%, 25%, 50% and 75% current reduction while in standby.
    3) Has DIP-switch settable phase currents. No need to ever remove the cover.
    4) Has optoisolated FAULT output along with isolated STP, DIR and DISABLE.
    5) Everything else is the same.
    6) Will be much less expensive.

The G213X is about 6 weeks away. The G201X new design becomes available Monday.

Mariss

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post
    The G203V has been redesigned and will be called the G213X. It's just like the G203V but:

1) Has full-step, half-step, 5 microstep and 10 microstep resolutions.
    2) Has 0%, 25%, 50% and 75% current reduction while in standby.
    3) Has DIP-switch settable phase currents. No need to ever remove the cover.
    4) Has optoisolated FAULT output along with isolated STP, DIR and DISABLE.
    5) Everything else is the same.
    6) Will be much less expensive.

The G213X is about 6 weeks away. The G201X new design becomes available Monday.

Mariss
    Of all your improvements, I like number 6 the most. :rainfro:

Mariss,

Will it morph all the different possible resolutions up to full step, as the RPM increases?
    c.

Yes, just like all of our drives.

Mariss

Yes, just like all of our drives.

Mariss
    humm, i didn't know that the 201x did that. You are smart Mariss!

One more, is the G201X going to do this staded on the quote below, or that's the G213X's job?

The G203X will contain a very exciting new technique that no other drive I'm aware of has. It will "change" its power supply voltage according to load and speed.

At low speeds a motor can get by with a low power supply voltage. At high speeds a motor needs a high supply voltage. Light loads can do with a low supply voltage while heavy loads require a high supply voltage. Motor heating on the other hand is a function of voltage.

Normal drives (ours included) cause a motor to get hot anytime it's turning no matter the speed or load.

Now imagine a motor that gets hot only when it's turning very fast or has a heavy load. That motor would stay much cooler when running an average CNC application than any motor presently. That motor could then be used with a much higher supply voltage than now because the drive regulate motor supply voltage.

I have designed a new circuit that does just that. The same full-bridge drive that regulates motor phase current also acts as a variable voltage regulator. Low supply voltage at low speeds, high supply voltage at high speeds. All automatic.

I'm looking to see if this circuit is well enough along now to include in the G203X. I have been working on it for over a year now and it is an exciting development.

Mariss
    Thanks,
    Francis

The best getting better, I love the option #4,( Has optoisolated FAULT output }, it will prevent us from hitting RUN and destroy the material, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ltran2000 View Post
    The best getting better, I love the option #4,( Has optoisolated FAULT output }, it will prevent us from hitting RUN and destroy the material, Thanks.
    Hello Itran, I am fairly new to cnc electronic components and operational procedures, could you explain a bit better how that works?
    What's the fault output and why would it prevent us from ruining stuff? thank you.
    francis

Another FINE design finished. Good work Mariss!

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Hi Francis, I have bilt a 48x48 single belt router with 203V and Pk299 oriental motor and using it for over a year without a single miss step, i put a tape on stepper motor
    and cut all day and after cut i always return exact location, the only proplem i have
    is if a cut not 100% thr material and I shutoff the power to adjust the Z down
    ( mechanically) and if I turn the power back right away, i will have either 1 of the xy or z
    red light error, if I press start it will ruin the material, I am thinking of put an LED to let me know if there is any error,or hook up to a pin(maybe emer pin) to stop mach from starting until we clear the error.