586,358 active members*
3,443 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

kcam and pacific scientific 6410 driver

anyone know if kcam (downloaded eval copy) can interface with pacific scientific 6410 stepper drivers? is it as simple as making a printer cable interface to the driver?
    I have 3 of these given to me but dont know if they work. I also have a 60v 6a /24v 16a power supply and an assortment of motors in unknown condition.
    I just want to test if this stuff works or just trash the stuff

thanks

tc

Hi tc, have you downloaded the manual for the controller? Page 36 details the hookup info which should work with your parallel port or breakout interface. A point of concern would be to use a relatively fast PC as I'm attempting to use a PIII-500 with Kcam and it's marginal (even a mouse click stops the output signaling). I'm going to try the Mach3 eval version to see if they manage better.

http://www.pacsci.com/support/docume...s/ma6410rv.pdf

...and if you can get 3 more "given" I'd be quite interested
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mrgadgeteer View Post
    Hi tc, have you downloaded the manual for the controller? Page 36 details the hookup info which should work with your parallel port or breakout interface. A point of concern would be to use a relatively fast PC as I'm attempting to use a PIII-500 with Kcam and it's marginal (even a mouse click stops the output signaling). I'm going to try the Mach3 eval version to see if they manage better.
    ...and if you can get 3 more "given" I'd be quite interested
    Mike
    Mike, I had plans to make a cnc plasma cutter, and later on I wanted to do a CNC milling machine. Ive collected over the years various motors, screws, PS, rods etc.. hoping one day I could get going on these projects, that was before my baby was born. Now....HA, between the baby, wife and dog I barely have time to do my own oil changes.

Anyway, now I'm going through my stuff checking if it works and then will be selling usable stuff.
    Mike where are you located, I'm in Vancouver

Tom

Tom, I'm in Ajax just East of Toronto. Just got into this scene in the last couple of months and have hardly more than a crude controller made from a basket of components, a couple of 150 oz. steppers, and a 12" x 10tpi leadscrew, so hit me up if you have anything to unload at a reasonable cost.

Having been a technician in the robotics/automation field some years ago I'm quite familiar with all the bits but never imagined that "I" would ever have to finance them! However, start small and work my way into some form of CNC that can do basic wood/plastic routing or laser engraving etc.

Cheers!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mrgadgeteer View Post

Having been a technician in the robotics/automation field some years ago I'm quite familiar with all the bits ......
    Cheers!
    Mike
    Any idea how to interface the drive to the parallel port using KCAM?
    What I'm stuck on is the driver has step+, step- as well as dir+, dir-, while in KCAM I only have a step & dir assignments to lpt pins. do I combine both the + and - of the 6410 driver to a single pin on the lpt or just use the positives?

newb
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tc2468 View Post
    Any idea how to interface the drive to the parallel port using KCAM?
    What I'm stuck on is the driver has step+, step- as well as dir+, dir-, while in KCAM I only have a step & dir assignments to lpt pins. do I combine both the + and - of the 6410 driver to a single pin on the lpt or just use the positives?

newb
    Tom

Tom, according to the schematic on page 36, all the Step/Direction/Enable "+" connections are connected to a user supplied positive 5 volts, and the "-" connections are connected to your parallel interface. I highly suggest you study your manual as it has pretty good explanations and diagrams - I wouldn't want to give you a bum steer.

You likely have to tie the parallel port "-" pins to the controller J2-1 "-" side of the controller so that you have a common supply ground. Then in Kcam you can setup the I/O definitions for the parallel port. My connections and designations as follows (equates to your "-" connections):
    X-Step = Pin 2
    X-Direction = Pin 3
    X-Enable = Pin 4
    Y-Step = Pin 5
    Y-Direction = Pin 6
    Y-Enable = Pin 7
    Z-Step = Pin 8
    Z-Direction = Pin 9
    Z-Enable = Pin 10

I'm not too clear about the controller "ENABLED" pins J4-4 and J4-9 on Page 36, it looks like this may be a master enable for the entire controller as opposed to the individual Enable pins for each motor. You will have to decide how or if it's to be used.

Let me know how you managed.
    Mike

Thanks for the pointers Mike,
    I managed to get the 3 drivers working after taking dmm readings and finding out kcam would only make a "+" signal to the assigned pins. I connected the driver to the LPT port using a common ground for the step- & dir- then the step+ & dir+ connected to pins that match up to KCAM's step & dir.
    the enable pins were not used as they were set to "always on" at the driver

The test motor connected is a big Vexta 2913 and the power supply is a astec mp4, 60v / 6a

Tom

Cool, now you have to build that plasma cutter !

:cheers:

Re: kcam and pacific scientific 6410 driver

I have the same question? how can I conect the drive for Match 3 ,!!!!! I see the data sheet ,, and I make the test but ,, dont turn ,,!!