586,449 active members*
3,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > BMC 20 CPU locking up

BMC 20 CPU locking up

I had bought a Hurco BMC-20 with Ultimax 2 control from a dealer about three months ago and it had sat in storage for over a year not connected to power. When I first got it I had no issues with it but past few weeks and I have had an issues when I first power it up. It will power up normally with no issues, I press the "manual key" and once I press the power the monitors will either go blank or freeze, or will get all unreadable and the system will seem to freeze up. I had called Hurco tech support and they said that it was most likely and drop in voltage due to a short somwhere. They told me most likely since the mill was moved, there was a small metal chip that may have worked into the console and shorting one of the PC boards out, they recommended that I vaccum out the console, which I did. This did not take care of the issue. I have measured the voltages on the DC switching power supply and I have 12.4 volts, 24.5 volts and 5.5 volts, which the hurco tech said was correct. If I let the machine sit and "warm up" for 10 to 15 min before I press the power button, then the machine will seem to function correctly. I am looking for any help I can to figure out this problem before it becomes a bigger more expensive problem or not to cause any damage to anything. Thanks a lot!

My dad's bmc 25 sometimes exhibits the same behaviour, especially if it's cold or has not been on for a while. I had put it down to the power supply. I recently learned after a failure on our own machine that there is more to the max 2 power supply than just putting out correct voltages. As the hurco guy explained to me at the time if the voltages are going high, as yours are, then the power supply is probably on it's way out.

Gregor

Probably power supply. If a capacitor dries up in them they get noisy and have AC ripple in the DC side. Hurco's are more sensitive to this than any other controls i've worked on. Check the 5VDC, should be 5.1. Check it on AC mode with your meeter, should be very close to zero. About 20MV is all.