586,129 active members*
3,025 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mini-mill MACH2 and Digispeed

I really want to be able to control my spindle through MACH2. I have seen PHD's Digispeed and it looks to be the ticket for the control. Can anyone comment that actually has this setup working? It's not that much in cost, but I would enjoy any comments beforehand.

Thanks,
    Rod

I too am interested in this, I bet it would even work on these controllers for surplus motors from surpluscenter.

Jon

Hello,
    I have a Digispeed that I use to control a GS2 VFD from automationdirect.com. It simply converts the PWM output from MachX into a 0-10V analog signal, which alot of VFD's accept.

They are supposed to be build to take the place of the 'rheostat' spindle controls on small machines like Sherlines, and the Asian lathes mills.

A little word of caution....

I do not know if the Digispeed is fully isolated, so be sure to confirm this befor using it on your machine.

The reason I say this is because some DC Motor controls, Like the ones from www.Beel.ca are at mains voltage and the signals CANNOT be grounded to anything - especially the computer.

My first attempt at making a frequecy to voltage converter was not isolated - as such, when I connected it to the spindle drive board, I fried my computer. So, please take the time to make sure everything is isolated if it is needed with your motor drive.

Chris

To use the Beel SMC DC drive with an un-isolated input, simply use Beel's signal isolator card ( part number 57-486). This card will allow you to use either a 4-20mA or 0-10vdc input signal. The signal isolator card produces an isolated 0-6vdc signal that is used to control the drive. For more information please email us at [email protected] or visit www.beel.ca