Its been a couple years since I have done anything with CNC. I kinda migrated over to Astronomy. I build a small observatory and decided I need a bigger telescope. A much much much bigger telescope. Well those cost allot of bucks. More than I got. So I decided I need a machine to build a bigger telescope. Save money that way. Well that's what I tell the wife anyway.

So this is a story of the build of the router/mirror grinder/mirror polisher.

Working envelope will be 60"x60"x16". It will be a 3 axis machine with a option for a 4th axis rotary table mounted on the table under the gantry. I made one before and it was pretty cool what you could make with a rotary.
This will be made mostly from stuff I had laying around from my past CNC ventures. I have THK HSR20's and NSK LWLF BCS18's slides and matching trucks. Along with a ball screw and some timing belts and pulleys. I did buy a used very nice screw for the Z axis. All the steel and aluminum I have laying around also.
For the electronics I have 5 or so 850 oz/in servos with 500 count quad encoders. Only need 3 or 4. I also have a hand full of gecko 320s laying about somewhere. I have a couple PSC 1500 power supply/ controllers from Foothills Designs here also. I think I will need a Smooth Stepper to interface via USB to the computer but that's down the road. Control will be Mach3 or whatever it is nowdays. Been away for a few years. About the time Art left from Mach I left. The innovation went out the window with that program..

I have a small shop with a small 14x40 lathe and a very old 9x42 bridgeport with a dro. Also have a small dovetail column mill drill from Enco. A few hand tools welders and a 7x12 Jet bandsaw. So no CNC stuff to help the build out. Just handle turners.
Should be fun and take a few months to finish if I don't get sidetracked. I started around Christmas so there is some progress so far.
I will post lots of pictures. Please post you comments or questions. If you see a potential problem with part of the design as it moves forward please speak up. If you are not sure how a part works or what its for, go ahead and ask. That's what the Zone is for.

Donny