586,968 active members*
2,966 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Computer reboots when I turn on gecko PS
Page 1 of 3 123

Computer reboots when I turn on gecko PS

I just got everythign hooked up, I upgraded my mills pc to a 2500+ athlon xp, motherboard and power supply upgrade. I wired the gecko PS exactly the same as I did before, right to the input terminals of the computer power supply. now I boot the computer just fine, usually I can turn the gecko ps on but when I shut it off it reboots.

Do some of the newer power supplies have some kind of protection or something to make it do this? If I was to wire this thing in on a separate plug, that would be 3 power cords going into my cnc box.....

Does anyone have any ideas why this would be doing this? it is rather strange and I have no clue.

Jon

well, I just tried plugging my gecko supply into the wall rather than through the power supply and it still did the same thing, the next thing Im going to do is plug it into another breaker. I dont have a clue why it would do this now and not before. I upgraded the motherboard, processor and power supply(computer)

-edit- doesnt work on a diff breaker, I have unplugged the parallel port cable and tried it and still no go.

Jon

It sounds like the PC power supply is susceptible to power supply bumps, You could try a MOV suppressor on the input to the gecko power supply, and also one on the input to the PC, alot of the power bars have these built in.
    Is the Gecko power supply common at ground potential?
    Also you can fit a RC network suppressor on the input to the PC, there are a few manufacturers that make these typically used on CNC power supplies.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al, what exactly is a MOV suppressor?

I was going to go ahead and make a few parts today, but figured I shoudl test out my coolant, I tried to turn it on and it did the exact same thing.

Jon

An MOV stands for Metal Oxide Varistor, it is a device about the size of a quarter and has a high resistance at normal operating voltage, but start to decrease in resistance if subjected to higher voltage, therefore tending to shunt out the voltage spikes.
    If you turned on your coolant (is it a 120vac pump for e.g.) and the problem occured, it is probabally due to such a spike, many people put a back emf diode across their DC relays, but omit to do it on ac relays and contactors, and these are the worst culprits for noise spikes, and should be fitted with a resistor/capacitor suppressor or a MOV.
    Any electonic supply house will supply them for a few cents.
    Look for Electrocube for RC suppressors also Aerovox make resistive/inductive input suppressors for PC's etc.
    A common grounding point for all power supplies and shields is also a must to prevent noise problems.
    Al

Albert E.

MOV's are metal oxide veristors. They are typically used to protect equipment from power surges. You may want to try a ups on the pc this will give your pc steady power regardless of the line condition, if you turn on your gecko power supply and the inrush current pulls the line voltage down the ups will kick in and keep the line at 120. The mov won't do anything when the line goes low.

Its typically not when I turn the drives on, its when I shut them off. thats why it hasnt made any sence to me.

Jon

That's a odd one, a good surge strip may help. It may be worth trying a different supply in the computer as well.

The computer is on a surge protector, I shoudl try a different one. I just got this power supply for it, Ill see if my other, smaller one will work.

Jon

If it is when you turn it off it is most likely to be a spike rather than a voltage dip, especially if you came of another breaker.
    Here is a previous post on rc suppression.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6361
    Al

Albert E.

Are you running the +5 volt line from the PC power supply to the Geckos?

I have a 12v line going to the breakoutboard which puts out 5v for the Geckos,(axxus technologies)
    Theres 5v from the power supply to the indexer card for the spindle feedback.

I might get stuck taking the lathe down and putting the motherboard and processor back in. My other mAtx power supplies I have wont power this combo.

Jon

Hi Jon,
    Wiring your controller and PC to the same terminal would ground them together. I have read that this causes lots of problems. Mariss mentions not to do it in this tread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7939, but didn’t go in to detail.
    I hope this helps.

Colin

I was just talking to shadow and he said its probably the 12v line, he thinks its spiking from the breakout board, so Im gonna get some sort of external 12v source for that.

Jon

I was getting reboots on a PC controlling a mill powered by 3 Gecko 340s when I powered them up.
    Solved it by putting a Thermistor (Inrush Current Suppressor) RS part no. 210-724 on the AC input to the transformer, it's also removed the 'thunk' sound at switched on.

Rab
    Rainnea CNC

Thanks a ton, I have one thing Im going to try before I do that.

what place is RS?

Thanks.
    Jon

RS is at http://www.rswww.com

or you could use Farnell - search their site for 'SURGE-GARD'

Rab
    Rainnea CNC

I am taking a look at automationdirect becuase I am ordering a stepper from there soon,
    Is this what I need?

http://web4.automationdirect.com/adc...es/AD-ASMM-120

Thanks,
    Jon

Thats odd, the description says MOV but the symbol is for DC suppresion i.e. a diode?
    Al

Albert E.

Al, Im guessing that they use the same pic for a lot of stuff. If you take a look around it seems to be like that. If it is what they say it is, it is correct right?

I want to get this ordered tonight.

Jon

Page 1 of 3 123