586,389 active members*
3,261 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Xform offset contour

Xform offset contour

Create a rectangle of any size. Next use the xform offset contour. If you offset it at a distance outside of the original rectangle then you will get a radius around the corners, which is good.

However if you offset the contour inside of the rectangle, there is no radius created.. why ?

The radii are less than the offset distance

If the radii are larger than the offset distace, then in the Xform result, rads will be smaller by the offset distance

Thanks for the reply.

I think I am doing something wrong or don't understand.

Create a 10 by 10 rectangle. Then go to Xform-Offset Contour. Chain the rectangle, and in the dialog box enter in a value of 3 for x and y.. The inside rectangle gets created, however there is no rads on the corners even though "all" is selected for Corners

It may be just understanding the concept

When you get the "Offset Contour" dialog up, hit the ? help, then field definitions tab, and go to the corners link for mastercam explaination

Rads will only be added if Sharp or All is selected on outward facing corners

Just above it is the L/R facing arrows, click both arrows for both to be on ( inward and outward offsets will be created at the same time), this may help

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    It may be just understanding the concept

When you get the "Offset Contour" dialog up, hit the ? help, then field definitions tab, and go to the corners link for mastercam explaination

Rads will only be added if Sharp or All is selected on outward facing corners

Just above it is the L/R facing arrows, click both arrows for both to be on ( inward and outward offsets will be created at the same time), this may help

Specifically, how would you create an Offset Contour using his 10" X 10" rectangle example with a 3" offset so that you get the radius's on the inside.
    I've read the Mastercam Help. As per usual it's not much help and I can't do what he's requesting be done using "Offset Contour".

Quote Originally Posted by thebowman View Post
    Specifically, how would you create an Offset Contour using his 10" X 10" rectangle example with a 3" offset so that you get the radius's on the inside.
    I've read the Mastercam Help. As per usual it's not much help and I can't do what he's requesting be done using "Offset Contour".
    A rectangle without fillets may not be the best shape to learn on, try having 1 sharp corner and a 1", 2" and 5" fillet on each corner, and then try understanding the command

If rads do not exist on the profile ( single entity, box, or chain ) then a LEFT and/or RIGHT offset is applied, mastercam will not add fillets on internal corners that make the new chain further offset from the original.

The only exception is if "None" is selected, and any rads that are smaller than the offset will be disregarded and a sharp intersection will result