586,656 active members*
3,471 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Hypertherm Hsp130 30 amp firing problem

Hypertherm Hsp130 30 amp firing problem

I have A whitney Advantage with a hsp 130 hypertherm palsma , i've had it for 5 yrs . not had to many problems . Good machine . But about a week ago on 30 amp the machine would not fire . The wire that runs from torch head tothe machine was arking everywhere . on 80amp and 130 machine fires normal . replaced the wire with wire that isn't the 3oo dollar wire that hypretherm sells . It fires every once in a while then a blue spark that looks like a welder without ground is what it does when it dosen't . anyone esle had this problem ? I've replaced the 30amp board , like i said the wire i've ordered but it will here wednesday .(300 dollar wire)

It sounds as though you are talking about the ohmic contact wire.....if that wire is arcing ...then it is somehow shorted to another connection in the powertrack between the torch and the voltage divider board. That is a special wire (it is not $300 in the Hypertherm price list though....if you let me know the length I can provide you with a part number and price!).....the ohmic wire is used for initial heigt sensing....and is not supposed to have enough current on it to create any type of an arc.

Have you been working with Whitney tech service.....or directly with Hypertherm tech service? The calls are free and there are experts available to help you troubleshoot this problem. My guess is that the ohmic wire has chafed through somewhere in the power track....is shorted, and needs to be replaced. This should be very easy to troubleshoot with a meter (DVM) if you can isolate (disconnect each end of the wire and measure for continuity. This wire is part of the height control system, not the plasma .....you can operate without it by using the height control in the stall sense mode.

Before you call tech service....ensure that you have the correct model number for your system....we do not make an Hsp130......there is an HPR130 and an HSD130. Here is the Hypertherm tech service contact info:
    Technical Service
    [email protected]
    800-643-9878 Tel - Toll Free in USA
    and Canada

Best regards, Jim Colt

Its fixed

Whitney had installed a wire that wasn't the wire hypertherm provides , a cheaper verison . Runs like new .Thanks Jim for your help with the wire.