586,113 active members*
3,212 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Max100 consumables.

I`ve got some questions regarding the consumables for a MAX100 machine torch.
    Cutting mild steel with air.Mainly 4 and 10mm thick initially.
    What is the difference,and when would I use shielded/unshielded consumables?
    I asked MG Industries and they said "only use shielded on a machine".But when I look at the manual,it only lists unshielded for 40 amps.
    On the list for the 40 amp parts it shows two Shield caps,one has a seperate deflector the other has not.Which should I use?
    The parts lists I am looking at are from the MAX100 manual,pages 4-16 and 4-18.
    It`s a bit of a pain that Hypertherm do not appear to have a personal contact in Britain,preferring to use agents instead.An earlier email to Hypertherms` office in Europe asking for approved British agents has sofar gone unanswered.This does not bode well for the future.
    All info gratefully received.

Mark,

Gridley,

I have forwarded a copy of your post to our reps in the UK.....we have more than one! They will be contacting you, although if you send me your direct contact info it will help...as they likely are not involved in this forum. Please send it direct to [email protected]

Here is a link to the Hypertherm website info on consumables for every Hypertherm plasma torch. The Max100 is listed under discontinued systems as it has been out of production for a few years...however there are thousands of them operating around the world...and parts and consumables will be supported for many years.
    http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Product...parts_list.jsp

There are 40 Amp shielded consumables for your torch....you will see them in this consumables listing on the web link. There are both shielded and unshielded consumables....the shielded consumables produce far superior consumable life..as the nozzle is protected from pierce spatter, and also is protected form the occasional contact with the plate when cutting thin materials that may warp during the cutting.

I would only suggest using non shielded consumables if you were cutting very thin materials, and also assuming that you have a good quality torch height control that can pierce at 1.5 times the cut height, then index down to the suggested cut height....without making any contact with the plate. Under these ideal conditions the non shielded parts will work adequately....

In regards to the two separate shield caps:Both perform exactly the same on your torch with unshielded consumables, the one with the separate deflector can also be used with the shielded consumables....by unscrewing the deflector and screwing on the shield.

In my opinion, the shielded consumables are far superior. They outsell the non shielded parts at about a 20:1 rate. We continue to produce the non shielded parts as there are some customers with special applications that like to use them!

Please forward your direct contact info....and I will ensure that someone from your region contacts you directly!

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by gridley51 View Post
    I`ve got some questions regarding the consumables for a MAX100 machine torch.
    Cutting mild steel with air.Mainly 4 and 10mm thick initially.
    What is the difference,and when would I use shielded/unshielded consumables?
    I asked MG Industries and they said "only use shielded on a machine".But when I look at the manual,it only lists unshielded for 40 amps.
    On the list for the 40 amp parts it shows two Shield caps,one has a seperate deflector the other has not.Which should I use?
    The parts lists I am looking at are from the MAX100 manual,pages 4-16 and 4-18.
    It`s a bit of a pain that Hypertherm do not appear to have a personal contact in Britain,preferring to use agents instead.An earlier email to Hypertherms` office in Europe asking for approved British agents has sofar gone unanswered.This does not bode well for the future.
    All info gratefully received.

Mark,

Jim,thanks for your reply.I have emailed you all my details.The info I have on consumables was downloaded from the page you link to.I emailed your European office because that is the only contact info on Hypertherm.com website for service over here.Possibly that is something that needs work done on it.
    Mark.

Just an update on the consumable position.
    I eventually received a reply from the European office saying sorry but he`d been on holiday and would put some agents in touch.Then got another email from someone else in Europe asking what was happening,then a further email from the same guy asking if I had got fixed up.Sorry can`t put names to them as I cannot access my works email from here.
    Eventually a welding supplies company from about thirty miles away gave me a ring and said he could supply the consumables.
    This company quoted what I felt were reasonable prices so I ordered a few of everything I thought I might need and he agreed that he would double up on the order and keep it on the shelf for my next order so I would not have to wait.
    This company eventually delivered the parts and I am reasonably happy.
    But,it all leaves a few questions regarding Hypertherm support in the UK.
    It took two weeks to get a response out the European service centre which the Hypertherm website points you to for service in the UK.
    I suspect the guy who emailed twice was in response to J Colts email and not mine.
    I have never heard from a UK based Hypertherm rep.
    Although eventually a local welding supply company got in touch it would have been better if Hypertherm Europe had given me a list of agents to contact myself.
    Altogether a rather poor setup from the proclaimed leaders in the plasma cutting field.I now know two suppliers for the whole of the UK for Hypertherm consumables,the machine maker who I already deal with and the company that contacted me after getting my details from Hypertherm.They may have passed my details on to other companies who have just not acted but I will never know.

Mark.

Mark,

I have forwarded this to the VP in charge of consumables at Hypertherm.....thanks for the feedback...hopefully improvement can be made soon.

Best regards, Jim Colt