587,043 active members*
3,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

8x12 QCTP... Does this add up?

Seems like many have been down this road, so looking for suggestions/advice..

Does this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/AXA-100-6-PC-12-...#ht_500wt_1182

Plus this:
    http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...3039&category=

Add up to a more-or-less bolt on QCTP solution for a 8x12 lathe? Obviously have to drill and tap holes for the feed screw retainer.

Thanks! -4ist

Yep, that should do it. I helped a friend drill and tap his tool post and it was very easy to do. A set of transfer punches really helps and can be purchased from Harbor Freight for $8.00 or you can make one up on your lathe.

If that AXA tool post sells cheap enough it may be cost effective to buy two sets so you have more holders instead of buying more holders later. Just a thought, you will have to compare the costs your self. I don't think 800 watt sells extra tool holders, but you can check.

Dale P.

I believe so. I got one of the A2ZCNC tool posts, but I'm considering upgrading to the AXA model myself.

Anyone know if the "wedge" style is worth the extra money? I would guess it's slightly stronger and more repeatable, but I wonder if it's enough to matter on our scale of lathe?

Also... I ran in to a post on here somewhere with a link to a plce that sells steel AXA size tool holders for like $6 each (Plus shipping, etc.) I'll keep looking... I know it's on here somewhere, LOL.

8x qctp options and opinions

Lathemaster has a nice AXA qctp that fits the 8x's without mods. It comes with modified holders. I got it for my Lathe as I wanted to keep the boss on the top slide. Later I milled about a .1" off the bottom of the compound rest swivel so I could use standard AXA. CDCO Machinery is the importer your thinking of for the ChiCom holders. I bought a bunch of them, they cost about $8 a piece, CDCO always has them on "sale". The quality is fine, although for a cutoff tool I went with the Aloris holder and Aloris insert system and have not regretted spending the extra cash, for some operations the quality of the tooling shows. If you have the little A2Z keep it, it will come in handy sometimes for smaller parts and in situations where space is at a premium.

8x qctp-by the way

Sorry for the extra post-the knock off AXA's are so cheap you might as well get the wedge, it is more rigid and encourages repeatability of the holders.

I agree with machinechick...the lathemaster QCTP is some of the best money I've spent on my 8x12.

I Agree..

Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    I agree with machinechick...the lathemaster QCTP is some of the best money I've spent on my 8x12.
    I think the lathemaster option would be the easiest, but it is out of stock and has been for the last 2 weeks that I have been looking at it...
    -4ist

I hear that. I ordered some of the 25 tooth gears, and they've been on backorder for two weeks now.

Update...

I ordered the compound rest top from LMS and wound up getting the QCTP from discount machine (Shars) on fleabay. As advertised, all I had to do was drill and tap the screw mount and all was well. I did have to add one washer under the nut on top of the tool post, but no biggie. Seems fairly rigid, but it does bounce around just a little with a heavy cut. Overall I'd say I'm pretty happy with this combination.
    Cheers! -4ist

hey guys..

Im the 'friend' ibuildstuff4u drill & tapped the two holes in my compound rest for.

Originally LMS did NOT inform me of this.. (that the new compound rest needed to be modified)..

however they were very cool about it..said give it a shot..dont work..send it back.. (how can you go wrong with customer service like that?)

anyways it all worked out fine.. new rest from LMS and a wedge type AxA (the whole package was NOT cheap)

I have found that for parting.. I need to do it in reverse..

both cutting from the 'bottom'....as well as running in reverse (L)

I think the stock tool post is GREAT to be honest.. its nice and rigid..and can hold 4 tools..

however.. Im not a fan of shimming...etc and I like to be able to swap boring bars, cut off tools and misc turning tools at will...without any trouble or extra work..

the AxA is nice a beefy compared to the A2Z...

now it is mentioned on the LMS site..so no more surprises!!