586,500 active members*
1,890 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What can this laser do?

Hey Guys,
    I know nothing about lasers but I found this on e-bay. I have a 4x8 router that I would love to attach a laser to cut up to 1/8 inch plastic and 1/4" wood sheets. I know this laser would not do that but what can it do?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It doesn't specify the spot size and working distance of the lens, but it looks like a high quality unit.

It would certainly be capable of surface engraving and possibly cutting of thin materials (veneers) but no where near 1/4" wood.

Zax.

Diode Laser.

I think you should be able to cut thin plastic and certainly pyro engrave most woods. Probably cut thin Balsa also.

These were done with a 150mW diode laser and the laser you have shown is many times more powerful.

Tweakie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11111111111.jpg   22222222222.jpg  
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

I just thought of one more thing that this laser can do... BLIND YOU!

If you are installing it on a CNC machine make sure you have safety glasses to protect from the reflected beam and if possible safety shields around the beam for additional protection.

Zax.

Quite right Zax.

Another thing that is often overlooked is that the fumes produced from laser cutting many materials (PVC is a good example) are extremely toxic and should never be inhaled.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, my wife put the kabash on this one. I think she's afraid I'll burn my eyes out. Besides, I'm afraid I'll kill the laser trying to make it work. That "do not operate more than 1 min" has me scarred.

I would hate to be the first to experiment with this laser at this price.

I have to say I think she's right, unless you know what you're doing and have the correct safety glasses it could end very bad.

A cheap CO2 laser would be a much better purchase, you'll cut the materials you want and the risk is much less (or at least the safety measures are easier). I have seen small 7-20W metal tube laser's on ebay from time to time at a similar price - they are early Synrad's or similar and a great buy.

The note about operating the laser for >1 minute refers to CW (constant ON mode) which isn't what you'd want anyway, the correct operating condition is pulsed (PW). This yields the best power and cutting performance, as well as reducing heat and extending the laser diode life. These diodes can last 20,000hrs or more if treated with respect - don't abuse the laser! (nuts)

Zax.

it can cut toilet paper

OFFFFTopic: when I read about cutting toilet paper, remember one exhibition when saw cutting pizza with water jet priced $400 000