586,966 active members*
1,972 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Jeff,
    I've checked every possible angle and point of contact, used a really slick dry film lubricant on the Y axis, and can move it with a small amount of effort when the machine is off, the exact same amount of effort it requires to move the laser head left and right, so I can't fathom what it could be binding on. I've never had any CNC machines other than this one, so I'm stumped, and the chinese manufacturers are no help since they've just told me to clean/oil it and "it be good again"
    I've dealt with linear rails on a printer before, so I know they're good and solid, but since the machine is hardly used, I can't figure out what the heck happened between now and last week when it worked perfectly. Last thing I cut in it was styrofoam, and although I've never cut styrofoam, I'm sure it didn't destroy the gantry. Another strange thing I noticed today is the Z axis for the table is moving unbelievably smoothly, before it used to rattle and make a hell of a noise, now it's smooth as butter. Honestly I wish that was rattling again if it would fix the main part.

I've uploaded a video to youtube here.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIRROtfjaXw"]YouTube- video-2009-12-28-19-43-50[/ame]
    The sound appears to be out of sync... I hate youtube.

The HQ mode is much clearer in quality too.

and as far as I can see by watching it, it's not missing any steps unless the motor, internally, has something broken inside it like a broken tooth that I can't see...

Question

Ron,

Is Mach3 controlling the laser?

Do you have a instant messenger?

My yahoo id is: jeffalessi

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Jeff,
    I'm not in the know enough to know mach3, I've heard of it, but don't know what it is. And in any case... I found the problem. I started pulling screws out and low and behold, the stepper motor without ANY load and without any belt on it behaves the exact same way as the gantry was moving. So.. the million dollar question is, is it possible to replace this without the help of the manufacturer?
    I'l post more info on it soon as I pull out the remaining screws.