586,094 active members*
3,830 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Forced to learn Mastercam X4

Forced to learn Mastercam X4

Hi guys,

Today the company I work for loaded Mastercam X4 onto my computer. I've been using EZ-cam for almost a year. I don't get much time to actually program, but got to be fairly good at designing parts for 3 axis milling with EZ-cam.

So, now I've been told the base I work on does not have EZ-cam on the approved software list.....here's Mastercam X4.....have fun. (nuts)

I got to download all the EZ-cam files onto my laptop and plan to import them into Mastercam. Hopefully this will not be a nightmare.

Anyway, I've opened Mastercam X4 and have no idea where to start as far as designing parts. I'd really appreciate recommendations for Mastercam X4 training sources. I'd like tutorials that start from the beginning and teach how to design simple parts as well as complex items.

Thanks,

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Newb View Post
    Hi guys,

Today the company I work for loaded Mastercam X4 onto my computer. I've been using EZ-cam for almost a year. I don't get much time to actually program, but got to be fairly good at designing parts for 3 axis milling with EZ-cam.

So, now I've been told the base I work on does not have EZ-cam on the approved software list.....here's Mastercam X4.....have fun. (nuts)

I got to download all the EZ-cam files onto my laptop and plan to import them into Mastercam. Hopefully this will not be a nightmare.

Anyway, I've opened Mastercam X4 and have no idea where to start as far as designing parts. I'd really appreciate recommendations for Mastercam X4 training sources. I'd like tutorials that start from the beginning and teach how to design simple parts as well as complex items.

Thanks,

AJ

I used EZCAM for many years. It's got some good ideas in it... like it's integrated spreadsheet for making easy edits to machining parameters.

The best way to learn Mastercam is Mike Mattera's Tips For Manufacturing CD's. I have 3 of them and they are worth every penny I paid for them. I've looked at all the other Mastercam training sources. They simply aren't as good. Mike Mattera is a very gifted teacher and it shows in every training CD he does on Mastercam.

Start with his intro to X3 CD:

http://www.tipsformanufacturing.com/...tro_to_x3.html

try this web site
    http://www.eapprentice.net/
    its pretty cheap and one of the best for a begginer

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

The best way to learn is trial error.

Hi guys,

Thanks,

AJ
    I am confident that you can't go wrong with anything listed here...

http://www.mastercam.com/Support/Lea...s/Default.aspx

After you learn the basics check with your MC reseller to see if they offer any open training days. My reseller has one day per month (IIRC) where any customer can drop in and have all their questions answered... It is amazing what an experienced user can answer for you in 5 minutes.

It may also be helpful to schedule an on-site training day with your reseller so they can help you tweak your MC install and make sure the machine definition, control definition and post processor are working correctly in addition to getting you started with some basics.

It won't happen overnight but you'll be glad you learned MC once you get good at it.

When i first started learning Mastercam by myself I went and bought the tutorial books from techedu.com . they helped me alot to get started and worth every penny.

AJ
    AJ,

Go to mastercam Directory where you are intall the program, look under Documentation folder, there quite many PDF files...... Quick Guide will guide you through the most useful function how to crack geometry and surface.
    The best way to learn is trial error.