TomNJ,

Shield technology (originally developed by Hypertherm in the 1980's) with Hypertherm's air plasma systems has the following technical benefits:

- Does not allow the nozzle to contact the workpiece, this eliminates "double arcing" that rapidly destroys the nozzle orifice, which creates very poor cut quality with relatively new consumables.
- On most power levels (above Finecut consumables) the shield is designed in conjunction with the nozzle to utilize the shield cooling air flow to radially inject around the plasma jet just as it exits the nozzle orifice. This has a strong technical patent called "Conical Flow Technology" which increases the energy density of the plasma arc, reducing dross, improving edge squareness, improving cut speed and improving nozzle cooling (longer life)
- For hand cutting the shield is a bit different than for machine cutting, and is designed to drag directly on the work piece and to guide along the edge of a template or straightedge.
- For machine cutting the shield is designed with a smooth face to allow thicker piercing and less molten metal spatter buildup.

So, the shield is better in 99.9% of applications. There are some old timers that started plasma cutting before the shield technology was developed....a few simply don't use it because it is different. I have seen a couple of robotic cutting applications on 3 dimensional parts where the deflector allowed for better clearance in areas where the shape of the part affected how close the arc could get to the material.

Don't use the deflector, always use shielded technology is my advice. I have been plasma cutting for 41 years.....I like better technology that actually works!

Best regards, Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
Just purchased a Powermax 85 and I'm in the process of setting it up. A little confused on the consumables. What is the difference between the Shield and Deflector when using a Mechanized torch and what are the applications? Of all the videos and demo's I've seen on plasma tables, none have shown the Deflector being used.