586,679 active members*
2,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Electronic edge finders

Hi all. I've a question regarding electronic edge finders. Do you use them with the spindle running or spindle off? The Tormach video on edge finders shows the electronic edge finder being used with the spindle turning. The instructions that I've been able to find (few and far between) say to use them with the spindle off. On or off? What say you?

I've using the edge finder with the spindle off but the one I have seems to have significant run out (.005) so one or two of the six lights will come on and the others stay off. Turning the spindle manually will cause the lights to on/off depending on the run out situation. I can move the table until all lights are solid but am not sure this would be correct. Should I set zero at the point where the first lights come on or where all lights are on solid? I'm still trying to figure out where the run out is being introduced. The spindle seems fine. The problem appears to be with either the collet/tool holder or the edge finder itself. I've tried two edge finders with the same/similar results.

Thanks,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ez3022 View Post
    The problem appears to be with either the collet/tool holder or the edge finder itself.
    Mark, I can't answer your larger question because I don't use edge finders at all any more (I use cigarette paper) but you should be able to pin down the runout by doing a test to see which lights light first, rotate the finder 180 degrees in the collet, repeat the test and see if the same or opposite lights light first--i.e. does the runout follow the finder or collet?

Randy

Excellent idea Randy. Thank you. I'll give that a shot.

Mark

another way

Or

If you use it while it is running it will be more accurate. You will need to do some tests inside of a know distance. ( Close your vise on a 1" parallel ) Zero the dro at one side when the lights come on then move to the other side. When the lights come on note the DRO reading. Subtract this from the know distance and you will have the true diameter of your edge finder.

It may measure .200" in your hand with a mic. But the above procedure will reveal what it is in the machine. Maybe .205".
    Make note of this number and use it for all future calculations.

Scott