587,023 active members*
4,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My mill/drill Z-Axis design

Here is a photo of what I came up with for my Z axis on my Enco mill/drill.

The large drive sprocket is an interference fit to the hollow angular contact bearing shaft. That shaft has internal threads to attach the ballnut to.

I used the motor mount plate that came with the motor. Everything fit ok, but two of the spacers were too close to the belt and I had to turn them down a bit.

The whole works fits into the spindle housing (I only had to grind away a little of the casting). I plan on making a simple part to mate the ballscrew shaft to the stock spindle snout yoke.

The motor has an E4 encoder from US Digital. I was impressed with how small these encoders are and how easy they are to mount.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Complete Z Axis Motor and Screw.jpg  

Looks very familar to me
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

could you post more pic?

Yes more pics please.

Is this a Enco square column mill your talking about? If so that must be a very small motor, or I am not understanding exactly what your saying.

How much travel does that setup have ?

Looks like very nice work though BTW.

Jess

Indeed it does!

Quote Originally Posted by HomeCNC View Post
    Looks very familar to me
    Do you feel flattered? Jeff, how does the mounting plate to the spindle hold up when machining? I've reached the limit on Z accuracy and am considering plagiarising....er I mean designing a similar Z ballscrew method, Also I was thinking of making the attaching plate to the spindle the full depth of the collar for some rigidity and to supply coolant and compressed air right at the spindle for mist and flood....Is the collar on yours 96mm btw?

Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill mod.jpg  
    Keith