586,692 active members*
2,996 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Engraving on metal compound $20 for one year

Merry Christmas to all
    [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNX363fG9Vc"][B]Watch the video!![/[/nomedia]
    Not so secret!!!
    Are you all ready to run to the store????

you will need the following:
    one bottle of Mothers Chrome polish, I paid $5.99 for it.

you will also need the following
    Calcium Sulfate Hemihydrate
    Calcium Carbonate
    and Crystalline Silica

or instead of the three ingredients mentioned above, you can go to the Home Depot and buy Plaster of Paris the
    Dry Mix for under 12$ (if I remember correctly.)

Mix ratio by weight: 1 part Plaster of Paris, 1 part Mothers Chrome Polish, or to make it easier, mix till you have a
    ketchup like consistency. I mix mine in 2 oz cups, 4gm of Dry mix and 4gm of Chrome polish at a time, this is
    good enough to cover a 4x4 inch area .

How to engrave: I use very little air pressure not to blow off the compound of the part being engraved I usually
    used 80% power and speeds ranging for 5% to 10% on the M350 depending on the metal being engraved.

Please post your results and if you like to add anything to this thread, also if compound flakes off, try using 1 or 2
    drops of soap in the compound.

Good luck to all and make sure to read the WARNING!! labels.

www.machinaria.com
    PhotoGrav3
    www.machinaria.com

Hello,
    From video I didn't see COLOR OF ENGRAVING. Is it black or just "strong" matt marking on steel?

Machinaria, this is very interesting.

do you know if this is similar in chemistry to 'Thermark' ? or does it mark the metal by some other means. my knowledge of chemistry is poor!

from squinting at your video it looks like an actual chemical etch, rather than baked-on ceramic ?

i was going to invest in some of the real product from the distributor in Germany. i note that it is available in a range of colours and different types now. Does anyone on the forum have any much experience of it?

ps. machinaria, i love your yellow laser machine - beautiful colour! what make is it?

best regards

KPB

Quote Originally Posted by Litografa View Post
    Hello,
    From video I didn't see COLOR OF ENGRAVING. Is it black or just "strong" matt marking on steel?
    here is another picture of the engraving on a different type of metal (aluminum). when you engrave on steel the engraving will be brown while on aluminum it will be a milky white.

www.machinaria.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M350 engraving on Metal.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by KPBadger View Post
    Machinaria, this is very interesting.

do you know if this is similar in chemistry to 'Thermark' ? or does it mark the metal by some other means. my knowledge of chemistry is poor!

from squinting at your video it looks like an actual chemical etch, rather than baked-on ceramic ?

i was going to invest in some of the real product from the distributor in Germany. i note that it is available in a range of colours and different types now. Does anyone on the forum have any much experience of it?

ps. machinaria, i love your yellow laser machine - beautiful colour! what make is it?

KPB
    Thank you!! the M350 is distributed by us in the USA. The compound has the best of both chem and bake qualities. Hope it will help some people that are on a budget.

best regards

www.machinaria.com

Quote Originally Posted by Machinaria View Post
    ...one bottle of Mothers Chrome polish
    Don't have that brand here, any idea what is in it?
    Thanks, Bob

I received an email from a cnc user, he said that he is getting good results spraying the formula reduced by weight ratio of 1:1 one part Plaster of Paris and one part rubbing alcohol. Application is by air gun nozzle: 1.3 HVLP ,pressure: 15psi, fan size: medium, spraying distance 8". Drying time he said is anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes and formula can be reused again by adding more alcohol. You guys can download the color separation test grid here at the bottom of the page.

Also I have been working on a new product but I still need to do some more testing, I will let you guys know what it is soon enough.

Best regards to all
    Sergio Arze
    www.machinaria.com

Quote Originally Posted by kewlkiwi View Post
    Don't have that brand here, any idea what is in it?
    Thanks, Bob
    You can replace the chrome polish with rubbing alcohol.

Machinaria

How much is the M350?

I received an email from a cnc user, he said that he is getting good results spraying the formula reduced by weight ratio of 1:1 one part Plaster of Paris and one part rubbing alcohol. Application is by air gun nozzle: 1.3 HVLP ,pressure: 15psi, fan size: medium, spraying distance 8". Drying time he said is anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes and formula can be reused again by adding more alcohol. You guys can download the color separation test grid here at the bottom of the page.

Also I have been working on a new product but I still need to do some more testing, I will let you guys know what it is soon enough.

Best regards to all
    Sergio Arze
    www.machinaria.com

Mcphil you've got PM.

Best regards

You can replace the chrome polish with rubbing alcohol.
    Thank you Sergio.

Just found out that Mothers *is* available here, but at 3 times the price you pay - $18NZ for 8 fl Oz ! (nuts)
    Bob

For those of you that like arts!!

If you guys are interested you may also cut aluminum foil with the laser engraver using the compound. If you are reducing with alcohol make sure you let the formula dry completely before vector cutting. Power setting 100% and use a speed equivalent to your laser power in MM, for example: 35Watt 35mm/s
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aluminum foil M350 cut.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by kewlkiwi View Post
    Thank you Sergio.

Just found out that Mothers *is* available here, but at 3 times the price you pay - $18NZ for 8 fl Oz ! (nuts)
    Bob
    You can reduce the Plaster with alcohol 1:1 ratio but make sure you wait till the formula dries completely.