587,034 active members*
3,134 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need some opinions

Hi all,

images below: these images are for 3D parts I designed/sculpted using a 3D sculpting application (Zbrush) … my questions are:
    Do you guys think I should pursue the idea of building or buying a CNC machine to produce furniture piece like this?
    Do you guys think I will find a market for it?

Thank,
    Sam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tbl_7_0.gif   tbl_8_2.gif   tbl_8_1.gif   tb_7l_2.gif  

tbl_8_0.gif  

I think you would need to simplify it a bit. You would need a 5 axis for some of that stuff. But your designs are sick. how much is that software?

There is always a market for pretty things. That does look like you would need a 4 or 5 axis machine though. for some of the parts.

Even if you don't end up selling your items you should go for it. Designing something has its rewards but holding your design in your hand is so much better.

I did see zbrush can export dxf and obj files, so hopefully it wouldn't be problem to get your files into a cam program.

A question on Z brush, how much control do you have when setting up how big something is? Can you set meshes to certain lengths etc in inches or mm?

Is there a market for furniture

Hi
    I have 30 years doing cabinetmaking and some furniture. This going to sound negative but. Woodworkers greatly appreciate woodwork. For the most part people don`t appreciate or understand the amount of work that goes into a fine piece of furniture. As a result, they can`t understand the higher price associated with high quality. If those pics were from China and it cost $200 people would buy it.
    Barry

Sure, there's a market, if the price is right. The problem is making them cost effective. Typically, parts like that are made on machines with 10 or more spindles, so basically 10 in the same time it takes to make one. Not cheap machines. As was mentioned, you'd probqably want to remove the undercuts so they can be done on a 3 axis machine, or possibly do them on a 4 axis machine. I don't think you could make any money using a 5 axis machine to make those.

Fantastic modeling job, btw.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi LLSHAWNLL, thanks for your reply, I think your right, I might need to simplify them a bit, but I was trying to learn how to use Zbrush, so I wanted them to be as complicated as they can get, I know I need a 5 axis machine to get parts like this, I’m working on some machine designs that I will shear with you guys (hopefully you guys can help me build it). Zbrush is not really that expensive but it’s not as an easy application to use. You can find for around $600 or bit less … checkout there site www.pixologic.com

Hi FandZ, thanks for your reply, you don’t really have control on the size of the object your designing in Zbrush, so you will need to depend on a CAD application to control size… I crated a simple box with the required dimensions in Rhino and then imported it into Zbrush and used it as a guide for my model, after my model is complete in Zbrush, I exported it back to Rhino and adjusted it a bit to fit my dimensions.

Hi Barry, thanks for your reply, I don’t consider your reply negative, your giving me your point of view depending on your long experience in this area, and it much appreciated….
    My idea was to design reproductions baroque and rococo furniture, I know that this type of furniture has a market in Europe and the Middle East, but I don’t really know about the US, but I always believed that a good design and quality has its place where ever you go.

And I can assure you these models ware not from china … I live in Delaware USA and they cost me around 4 weeks of work… but I was just learning to use the app… I think I can redo them within a week or so.

I have 30 years doing cabinetmaking and some furniture. This going to sound negative but. Woodworkers greatly appreciate woodwork. For the most part people don`t appreciate or understand the amount of work that goes into a fine piece of furniture. As a result, they can`t understand the higher price associated with high quality. If those pics were from China and it cost $200 people would buy it.
    Barry

Very true. The nature of americans or maybe all people is they want to be paid
    $100 for doing a job, but would only want to pay someone $20 dollars to do the same job.

Hi Gerry, thank you for the reply; I’m planning to build a 4-axis machine, and remove the undercuts as you mentioned and hopefully upgrade it to a 5-axis later on… thanks for your comment.

This may be a gross oversimplification of things, but what if you made the table as one part, then the complicated decorative parts as secondary components, to be bonded to the main unit afterward?

In fact, if you could do one side of the decorative part, then flip it to do the undercuts, it should then be possible to accomplish all this on a 3-axis machine.

As I said, this may be completely out to lunch; but it may have something to it.
    Could it be a business? It has to be at the right price that people will want to buy it, and it has to be many times cheaper for you to build. Figure at LEAST 500% markup by the time it hits the end user, if you went with the distributor-retailer network route. If you wanted to do this in much smaller runs, and sell direct to retailers, you could get away with smaller markup percentages, leaving room for higher material and labor costs.

One thing, though, make sure whatever you sell these at, it completely pays for itself, and it pays YOU for your time and input.

If you can satisfy that, you might have the makings of something nice. If you can't, make it a hobby, have fun with it, but don't let it turn into a lifetime obsession.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bgolash View Post
    Hi
    Barry
    Many years ago, my partner and I took a shot at high end furniture. Barry explains it well. We had customers that new quality and were willing to pay for it, but the majority do not. We found that we could not buy the material for what most wanted to pay for the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by rlwoodjr View Post
    Many years ago, my partner and I took a shot at high end furniture. Barry explains it well. We had customers that new quality and were willing to pay for it, but the majority do not. We found that we could not buy the material for what most wanted to pay for the finished product.

hi rlwoodjr,

thanks for your reply ... I guess all of you guys had pointed out the price, so let me ask you guys how would you price something like this ... lets say its cherry wood with the following dimensions:

Length : 50 inch
    Width : 28 inch
    Height : 20 inch

They way I’m looking at this form a cost point: (Wood + the cost of finishing + man hours + shipping)

Now I know I’m over simplifying it, and I understand that other factors go into making apiece like this … but just want to see how you guys wound price something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam325ci View Post

They way I’m looking at this form a cost point: (Wood + the cost of finishing + man hours + shipping)
    + overhead + machine time + tooling + profit.

. Also, a good quality finish can cost as much as the piece itself. Or I should say it can take as long to finish something as it takes to build it. Especially a carving, which can be much more difficult to finish.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam325ci View Post
    Hi all,

images below: these images are for 3D parts I designed/sculpted using a 3D sculpting application (Zbrush) … my questions are:
    Do you guys think I should pursue the idea of building or buying a CNC machine to produce furniture piece like this?
    Do you guys think I will find a market for it?

Thank,
    Sam
    how long, did it take you to master this application to create this level of carving, the file types avail for output are?

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    + overhead + machine time + tooling + profit.

. Also, a good quality finish can cost as much as the piece itself. Or I should say it can take as long to finish something as it takes to build it. Especially a carving, which can be much more difficult to finish.
    I have been out of it for far too long to put together a price, but ger21 took the words right out of my mouth. Overhead consumes a lot of resources. Keeping tools sharp, maintenance of equipment, scrap parts, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by eloid View Post
    how long, did it take you to master this application to create this level of carving, the file types avail for output are?
    hi eloid,

It took me few days to learn how to use the application, and few months playing around with it... I don’t think I mastered it yet ... the 2 models took me around 4 weeks each ... but I’m much better at it now ...it might take me around a week + to make one of these models now.

You can export them in obj and dxf , but you will need to reduce the mesh count before you can CAM them, all CAM Apps that I know of will not allow you to CAM a mesh that is more than 1.5 million in poly count. (The mesh poly count for one of these models is 4+ million and the other is around 5.5 million but you can reduce them by using a plug-in to around 1 million - 500 thousand and still maintain the level of details).