586,469 active members*
2,942 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Splash Guard for 8x12 Lathe

I sent an e-mail to HF tech support asking about how to order the splash guard pictured on the website. Here's the response I got this morning:

Mr. Caleb,
    The splash guard can be ordered. Please call 1/800/444/3353 and order
    SKU 26962 price is $17.37 plus frt.
    Thank You,
    H Wescoat

-------------------------

I called the number and ordered 2 of them (one for a friend). I was told that they are not in the warehouse, and it would be 20 days for backorder.

Total cost for 2 guards + 5-7 day shipping was $49.74

Hopefully they haven't discontinued these.

-Caleb105-
    Harbor Freight X3, Keling 387inoz 23's, 640inoz 34, G203V's, Homebuilt 65V PSU, PMDX-122 BOB, NOOK XPR screws, NOOK SBN ballnuts, Shuttle Pro2, Mach3

Are you talking the one over the chuck like in Bob's picture?
    http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookb...FirstChips.htm
    I have one I took off to build a larger enclosure.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

No. I'm talking about the large one on the backside of the machine. It is attached in the picture of the lathe on the HF website, but is not included in the purchase of the lathe.

Here's the link to the 8x12 on the HF website:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44859
    Harbor Freight X3, Keling 387inoz 23's, 640inoz 34, G203V's, Homebuilt 65V PSU, PMDX-122 BOB, NOOK XPR screws, NOOK SBN ballnuts, Shuttle Pro2, Mach3

It can be a little tough to get things out of HF parts department. Don't be surprised if it takes MONTHS to get stuff. Last time I tried I cancelled after 7 months. (I got cheezed at being lied to about the ETA.)

This site has lots of good info about the 8x12/14 lathe and this page in particlar lists the available acessory parts for it, along with prices that seem to have stayed the same.

http://www.fignoggle.com/machines/8x12lathe/pricing.htm

I just got my splash guard a couple weeks ago. I placed the order January 17, 2009!! I also received my replacement emergency switch ordered mid-February, my steady rest ordered the same time as my splash guard.

My motor had the cap failure in February and I replaced it with another cap acquired locally. I called to have the motor replaced under warranty. Then 2 weeks before I received my items I got a note card in the mail saying the manufacture no longer carries the motor. sigh!

The splash guard is 2-1/2" to long too! I didn't bother calling and complaining or reordering. I figured I will cut it down a weld it. Just can't win!!

oh every time I would call to check on order status, it would be 2 more weeks. If they say still waiting on the manufacture then it hasn't left china left. Finally they said it has shipped from the manufacture and that took a couple weeks.

Not sure if you ran in to it yet, but here's a page on Fignoggle's site about mounting the backsplash.

Maybe it has something you overlooked? (Hey, it's worth a try, LOL.)

http://www.fignoggle.com/workshop/ar...the-backsplash

I really need to send Fignoggle an email thanking him for keeping the pages up.... I learned a lot before and after my 8x purchase from his pages.

Discontinued?

I placed an order for the splash guard about a week ago. After checking the order status and seeing "refunded" I gave them a call today. They said the item has been discontinued by the manufacturer, and there is no possible way they can get it.

caleb105, perhaps you should call them and see what you can find out. Please let us know.

Hmmm.... well, I have a 8x12 and a Vac-Forming machine..... time to go aftermarket?