586,993 active members*
3,409 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Taking Delivery on Techno-Isel 4'x4' 130 Model

Smile Taking Delivery on Techno-Isel 4'x4' 130 Model

Hello Forum,
    I am taking delivery on a New Techno-Isel Model 130 CNC Router with travels of 4' x 4' x 12" in Z I purchased after a long period of looking at different models. I selected the Techno becasue I felt it offered the best quality/price of all the ones I looked at. Servos on all axis, aluminum t slot table, ball screws, I also purchased the 3hp higher-end variable speed router (6-18K) with sealed bearings.

I purchased primarily for hobby reasons, although I have had a few people request if I can do machining for them. A few of the applications include:
    Aluminum molds, graphite electrodes (messy work), and wood patterns.

A couple questions......
    My immediate conclusion is that I can take the pattern work, that's a no brainer, however, what about aluminum molds? Will this be do-able? And for that matter, will I be able to cut detailed graphite electrodes and hold decent tolerances? (I do have a good industrial vacuum system)

Thanks to all, great forum. I look forward to contributing to it.

Hi,

I looked at Techno too but it was a little out of my financial reach. They do look nice and I'm sure you will be happy overall. I can't attest to their performance, as I have never seen one run. From your description, I would be a little concerned about your Z axis travel. Even in something as soft as aluminum, you may get unacceptable chatter. You may want to build your work surface up closer to the gantry so your Z axis isn't extended all the way (to avoid cantilevered efeects).

In the literature I read, they only suggest a large Z axis for foam. What was your reasoning for going with 12" if I may ask?

Thanks cbass.
    I agree with you to raise the work piece when doing Aluminum.
    The reason for the higher Z travel, I wanted the ability to cut wood and foam patterns with some depth to them.

I've got a techno 054 machine with the stock 6.8" of Z and the 3hp HSD spindle. I've cut aluminum, garolite and delrin for fixtures and didn't have any problems. My stuff wasn't as much cutting as you may have with molds. I work with wood so I really slowed down my speeds and feeds just to make sure I wasn't overrunning it. I did not use any coolant other than an occasional spray of wd-40. The machine is pretty ridgid but my chips were very small so I probably could have pushed the feed rate and depth of cut up a bit. My repeatability/accuracy seemed very good with the metal and plastics - its harder to measure with wood since it tends to move a bit dimensionally when its been machined. I like wood chips much better than the tiny metal razors that get everywhere

You might want to talk with them regarding coolants, or I'm sure folks here can probably help with suggestions. The airjet systems would be a lot cleaner than fluids. If you got their stand you'll want to use some of the mdf from the shipping crate to make a cover over the electronics components which have covers but better to just keep that from happening.

Thanks RandMan.
    How long have you owned your 054 machine? When it was shipped did they unload for you? I am having my machine shipped to my home address, as I will be setting up shop in my garage. Will a heavy duty hand pallet jack work?

I had it delivered to my residence also. I told techno that they would need to have the freight co deliver with a lift-gate/pallet jack and they did. I think I paid an additional charge for that.