587,040 active members*
2,989 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > entry-level, semi-turnkey, for aluminum?

entry-level, semi-turnkey, for aluminum?

I'd like to make some custom model parts. I foresee working with woods, G10, Carbon Fiber 3K sheets, and aluminum. I'm handy with geometry, electronics, programming and simple mechanicals, but I'm not experienced with fabrication.

I have been looking at some of the "build your own" options, but I'd rather cut to the chase and get something a little more turnkey or at least all-parts-included so I can get busy with the model parts. So maybe there's a Linux/EMC2-based controller, all the steppers and table frame parts, and chips containment solution out there. I don't want to break the bank, either, but I know that being too cheap will cost more in the long run.

I saw the Probotix Fireball 90... that's the right price range and features but I don't think it's ready for cutting aluminum, and I haven't found enough testimonials from people using them.

Quote Originally Posted by halley View Post
    I'd like to make some custom model parts. I foresee working with woods, G10, Carbon Fiber 3K sheets, and aluminum. I'm handy with geometry, electronics, programming and simple mechanicals, but I'm not experienced with fabrication.

I have been looking at some of the "build your own" options, but I'd rather cut to the chase and get something a little more turnkey or at least all-parts-included so I can get busy with the model parts. So maybe there's a Linux/EMC2-based controller, all the steppers and table frame parts, and chips containment solution out there. I don't want to break the bank, either, but I know that being too cheap will cost more in the long run.

I saw the Probotix Fireball 90... that's the right price range and features but I don't think it's ready for cutting aluminum, and I haven't found enough testimonials from people using them.

A while back someone was complaining about a 2 month or more turnaround time with fireball cnc's. I don't know if it got any better. The best option I know of as far as kits go is based off of cncrouterparts.com's parts and sold as a kit by finelineautomation. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73670 I think a 2x3 kit runs for around 1200 with out electronics.

A cheaper option to get you cncing would be what this guy offeres. http://modularcnc.flyingcart.com/ind...&req=dept&id=4

Just remember with either one it'll still take about 500 to get them going after you bought the kits once you add in electronics and odds and ends.